• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shock poll predicts Tory losses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock poll predicts Tory losses

Hung Parliament, that's something I'd vote for!!!

Wait to you see the methodology they are using
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I assume this is just to make sure Tory voters go out and vote?
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Last edited by northernladyuk; 31 May 2017, 07:06.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          The British electorate doesn't like bald men.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm quite surprised that the Times went with this. Or, rather, I would be if it weren't a Murdoch rag It can't be described as a poll. It's a constituency model whose statistical parameters are estimated with polling data. These type of models have a very poor track record.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              I'm quite surprised that the Times went with this. Or, rather, I would be if it weren't a Murdoch rag It can't be described as a poll. It's a constituency model whose statistical parameters are estimated with polling data. These type of models have a very poor track record.
              The argument for publishing is that it was accurate in the referendum...

That only leaves likelihood to vote and numerous other flows in the model. Its like using the huffingtonpost poll of polls that lists Tories 33%, Labour 31%, undecided 21%, rest 15%... Unless you know what that 21% is going to do and trust that everyone stating their choice is going to vote its pointless...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                The argument for publishing is that it was accurate in the referendum...

That only leaves likelihood to vote and numerous other flows in the model. Its like using the huffingtonpost poll of polls that lists Tories 33%, Labour 31%, undecided 21%, rest 15%... Unless you know what that 21% is going to do and trust that everyone stating their choice is going to vote its pointless...
                The inherent problem here is that these polling events cannot be treated as realisations of some stationary random process. Every poll has unique context, particularly at a constituency level, and that context is essentially invisible to the pollsters. They're constantly tweaking the structure of their models (e.g. turnout filters) to better map the most recent polling bias, but that is difficult to justify for the above reason. In this context, both their expectations and the estimates of uncertainty surrounding those expectations are highly questionable. Polling is a pseudo-science at best (i.e. a business ), and constituency models take this to a whole new level. It's the illusion of precision.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  The inherent problem here is that these polling events cannot be treated as realisations of some stationary random process. Every poll has unique context, particularly at a constituency level, and that context is essentially invisible to the pollsters. They're constantly tweaking the structure of their models (e.g. turnout filters) to better map the most recent polling bias, but that is difficult to justify for the above reason. In this context, both their expectations and the estimates of uncertainty surrounding those expectations are highly questionable. Polling is a pseudo-science at best (i.e. a business ), and constituency models take this to a whole new level. It's the illusion of precision.
                  Each poll has a unique context that makes the result inaccurate.

But if this is true of all polls, wouldn't they all be equally wrong by the same degree, on average?

So, one could draw a useful trend but not an accurate snapshot consensus.

And that, my friend, is why I have a GCSE in Maffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                    Each poll has a unique context that makes the result inaccurate.

But if this is true of all polls, wouldn't they all be equally wrong by the same degree, on average?

So, one could draw a useful trend but not an accurate snapshot consensus.

And that, my friend, is why I have a GCSE in Maffs.
                    But what does it all mean for Kebuber?

Comment

Working...
                    X