• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bike luggage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike luggage

(I've posted this on a motorcycle forum but since there's a few bikers on this forum, I'll ask the question here too)

Taking my bike (Yamaha mt-03) to Spain for a week this summer. Never done this sort of thing before so not sure what best luggage options are.

Seems that soft panniers/saddlebags are the cheaper option but hard luggage is better from a security point of view as you can leave your gear on the bike when you park up.

Unfortunately it seems that Givi, Kappa et al don't do the pannier fittings for my bike so it would have to be some kind of topbox. There's a nice 52 litre number I've seen but can't help thinking that's one hell of a lump to have on the back of the bike. Anyone recommend any other brands worth looking into?

Be interested to hear what the resident bikers' preferences are for this kind of thing.

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    (I've posted this on a motorcycle forum but since there's a few bikers on this forum, I'll ask the question here too)

Taking my bike (Yamaha mt-03) to Spain for a week this summer. Never done this sort of thing before so not sure what best luggage options are.

Seems that soft panniers/saddlebags are the cheaper option but hard luggage is better from a security point of view as you can leave your gear on the bike when you park up.

Unfortunately it seems that Givi, Kappa et al don't do the pannier fittings for my bike so it would have to be some kind of topbox. There's a nice 52 litre number I've seen but can't help thinking that's one hell of a lump to have on the back of the bike. Anyone recommend any other brands worth looking into?

Be interested to hear what the resident bikers' preferences are for this kind of thing.
    I can look at this thread with all the schadenfreude of a full dresser that trails

Comment

decisions

Givi do soft pannier fittings: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/208963

Depends what you need. With my Bandit 1200 I used a tank bag. they can be fairly streamlined or zip up to give you lots of storage and a chin rest ;-) Also handy clear map pocket on top. These are the least secure (often magnetic) but most convenient to remove and carry.

With my Blade, I have soft panniers (Oxford I think). Pretty easy and quick to fit, decent capacity, stable and fairly streamlined. Only takes a minute or two to get them off and more storage than the tank bag. Get rain covers if you get this stuff - you never know.

Hard luggage - not tried it but it will increase your centre of gravity more I suspect. Also as you said more secure.

Depends on your holiday - if you have a base and can ride around that then you can leave luggage there. If you are touring all the time then I'd get the smallest possible item and just carry it when away from the bike.

Also remember you could take a rucksack, though strictly speaking it's not the safest option.

To be fair, a week is not a long time. I managed a couple of weeks living out of a tank bag and a small backpack and in summer what do you really need to carry besides a litre of oil? ;-)

Also, I'd check the rules for the country - if you're going via France you may need hi-vis vest, spare bulbs, a breathalyser....

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
        Givi do soft pannier fittings: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/208963

Depends what you need. With my Bandit 1200 I used a tank bag. they can be fairly streamlined or zip up to give you lots of storage and a chin rest ;-) Also handy clear map pocket on top. These are the least secure (often magnetic) but most convenient to remove and carry.

With my Blade, I have soft panniers (Oxford I think). Pretty easy and quick to fit, decent capacity, stable and fairly streamlined. Only takes a minute or two to get them off and more storage than the tank bag. Get rain covers if you get this stuff - you never know.

Hard luggage - not tried it but it will increase your centre of gravity more I suspect. Also as you said more secure.

Depends on your holiday - if you have a base and can ride around that then you can leave luggage there. If you are touring all the time then I'd get the smallest possible item and just carry it when away from the bike.

Also remember you could take a rucksack, though strictly speaking it's not the safest option.

To be fair, a week is not a long time. I managed a couple of weeks living out of a tank bag and a small backpack and in summer what do you really need to carry besides a litre of oil? ;-)

Also, I'd check the rules for the country - if you're going via France you may need hi-vis vest, spare bulbs, a breathalyser....
        Yes, I saw those. Was thinking of a tank bag for all the essentials I need close to hand so wasn't going for a huge one.

Thing is, I'll be camping and moving around a bit so I'll be going into a couple of big towns with my gear on the bike. I always feel it would be easy for someone to take a blade to a soft pannier and relieve me of my gear.

I could go for a smaller top box I guess. They seem to go up to 58 litres but I don't know how much capacity I'd need for 1 week bearing in mind I'll have my camping gear strapped to the pillion.

Also I notice that all this stuff has a maximum load of 10kg - doesn't sound like very much. Wonder if this to do with the load on the fitting or handling issued. Maybe they're just covering themselves....

Comment

Bearing in mind the mt-03 is an urban/commuter tool do you not have any mates you could cross their palms and take something that's more suited to long distances that has the kit on it?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Bearing in mind the mt-03 is an urban/commuter tool do you not have any mates you could cross their palms and take something that's more suited to long distances that has the kit on it?
            Nothing suited to this trip.

Not really long distance - ride to Plymouth & off the ferry at Santander & down to the Picos de Europe.

Big traily would be good. Perhaps I should trade in....

Comment

Always a fun ferry ride that - cross between a 36 hour booze cruise and a rollercoaster ;-)

Take the minimum amount of the lightest stuff you can. Too much weight, especially in a top box will really dent the fun of the open road.
              Might even be worth looking for campsites that can provide the tent.

I'd also aim to travel no more than 3-4 hours a day. I've done 7 hours on the Bandit (no fairing like yours) and 10 hours on the Blade, both in France. It's not much fun.

Tips for Camping with a motorcycle

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                Nothing suited to this trip.

Not really long distance - ride to Plymouth & off the ferry at Santander & down to the Picos de Europe.

Big traily would be good. Perhaps I should trade in....
                Possibly. The big trailies nowadays are much better suited. I did Njiemegan on a Super Tenere and a GPZ500 and oddly enough I found the GPZ the more comfortable of the two even though it could have done with a bit more grunt. The older Tenere's screen was just a little too small but I see the newer ones are much better.

I'm sure it's quite possible to do it on the MT but can't help thinking you'll enjoy it much more on something a little bigger with some wind protection if you are doing an overland slog. If it's just an hour or two either side then you'll be fine.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Problem solved

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Having toured with a top box, hard panniers, soft panniers, tank bag and a rollbag over time, my preference is panniers over a topbox anyday. Despite the extra width it keeps the weight lower.

There's nothing wrong with soft luggage, just be aware not to leave anything valuable you can't leave without in it. I keep valuables in a bumbag with a wired waistband so I know it won't fall off. I've never had my bike or luggage messed with while I've been away. I used a Givi 52l topbox on a Thundercat and a CB1300 and it looked stupidly big on the Thundercat and was still big on the CB1300, though it held a lot.

For a one off trip I'd look at something like Oxford soft panniers, maybe supplemented by a rollback bungeed to the pillion seat. As others have said you can go a long time with very little so if you aren't sure leave it behind. You can always find a shop if you need something while away.

Comment

Working...
                    X