• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Exclusive: Labour election campaign boosted by fake CUK accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exclusive: Labour election campaign boosted by fake CUK accounts

"Exclusive: Labour election campaign boosted by fake Twitter accounts

Labour’s election campaign is being boosted by fake social media accounts that pump out positive messages about Jeremy Corbyn thousands of times per day, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.

One in eight messages about British politics posted on Twitter are generated by automated accounts known as web robots or “bots”.

Individual accounts each post up to 1,000 messages per day attacking Theresa May or promoting Labour. They are set up to look like personal user accounts to trick other users into thinking real people are backing Labour. Automated accounts also back other parties, but to a far smaller degree.

They were described last night by Oxford University researchers as “worrying” because of the power of automated accounts to “distort” and influence views. Twitter is predominantly used by young people, who are also more likely to be Labour supporters"

Exclusive: Labour election campaign boosted by fake Twitter accounts

Originally posted by AtW View Post

"Exclusive: Labour election campaign boosted by fake Twitter accounts

Labour’s election campaign is being boosted by fake social media accounts that pump out positive messages about Jeremy Corbyn thousands of times per day, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.

One in eight messages about British politics posted on Twitter are generated by automated accounts known as web robots or “bots”.

Individual accounts each post up to 1,000 messages per day attacking Theresa May or promoting Labour. They are set up to look like personal user accounts to trick other users into thinking real people are backing Labour. Automated accounts also back other parties, but to a far smaller degree.

They were described last night by Oxford University researchers as “worrying” because of the power of automated accounts to “distort” and influence views. Twitter is predominantly used by young people, who are also more likely to be Labour supporters"

Exclusive: Labour election campaign boosted by fake Twitter accounts
    And they're also more likely to wake up late on polling day and decide that voting comes a poor second to grabbing a quick one off the wrist and watching the One Show.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

This doesn't surprise me at all, that's what too many on the left seem to be about these days but, as a Tory loather, it's very balanced of you to post this one atW, well done!

Maybe it is a big cause of the link between age and political leaning, that us old farts don't spend much time looking at Facebook, Twitter and all that crap. If something isn't in my 1995 copy of The Hutchinson Encyclopedia I don't believe a word of it.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 2 June 2017, 08:20.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        And they're also more likely to wake up late on polling day and decide that voting comes a poor second to grabbing a quick one off the wrist and watching the One Show.
        I had the misfortune of having to sit through that the other night while I was at my brother's house.

It was like being spoon-fed luke warm vomit.

Bring back Nationwide with Michael Barratt. Or Frank Bough.
        Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 2 June 2017, 09:17.

Comment

Working...
        X