• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BA contractor screw up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So as a lesson for those of you that have never been around Mechanical and Engineering plants:

Data centres are graded using tiers 1-4+ (4+ having guns on the door.) Most data centres in the UK would be around the level of 3. Amongst the other things tier 3 requires the DC is provided power from diverse routes to the rack so that starts at a power sub station and runs all the way to the building into separate sub rooms then into Power Distribution Units then finally to the rack. In the rack there will be two power bars (plug sockets to you) these allow the machines that are placed in the rack to be fed from the two separate sub stations.

One of the power bars will also be hooked up to a UPS battery room. The UPS is not there to actually run the data centre it is there to smooth the power spike when the main power fails and the generators kick in. This is almost instant but not quick enough to stop a server from crashing. So the UPS can be thought of as a giant capacitor. Once the Generators kick in they will charge the batteries and keep the machines up. There will be separate generators for the chillers and plant so every thing is covered and can be ran like this indefinitely.

So if Joe Contractor is going to be an arse and break something he would need to power down the UPS (if that is even possible) Lock the Generators to OFF then wander off to two different PDU racks and switch them off... the whole process starts to look a lot like taking the death star down

Now given that a DC's job is to stay up there is a very stringent work process that makes any contractor that is doing M & E fill out statements of work and an associated risk management statement that explains how they will protect the up time while working.

The contractor cannot possibly think that they are taking both power feeds down at once because the statement of work explains exactly what they will be doing and how.

So no one pulled out a plug! Its not possible. the DC would be fully liable for the work and they won't take that sort of risk...

Now that the myth of someone un plugged me and I broke is dealt with lets talk about data replication....

Big distributed systems use something called data synchronisation that can be used to keep copies of the database in synchronisation at many places indeed. Databases have become so good at doing this EVEN Microsoft SQL server can be set up to create geographical load balanced database clusters that can be ran as live on every node and instantly merge the data between the nodes. The safest method is to have your local application server write to the far end first so that it can always know the transaction made it out the DC before it was committed to the database. That write can commit in many places at once an is also written to a transaction log in case the whole lot dies and it needs to be re-written from the logs. The whole process is almost bullet proof. I am a total and complete sod and even I have been unable to make it break when asked to.

So for Willies story to be true: Whoever is running this would need to have plugged all the servers on to only one PDU socket. Set up both sides of the clusters in the same place then deleted the transaction logs so that they couldn't auto rectify all of which points to a stupid bunch of muppets that has no understanding of basic mechanics or cluster layout. So yes my money is completely on TCS being in the frame for this...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      unfortunately some idiot has either undersized the UPS, left the diesel in the tank too long or set the Generator delay too long and the Batteries are knackered.

It should be nigh on impossible to drop a load like that if designed even vaguely well.
      If the kit is in a BA DC then thats fair but any DC provider will be tulip hot on all of those things as they are liable for those sorts of failure...

Comment

Contractor in this context mean most likely BT Openreach engineer

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          So as a lesson for those of you that have never been around Mechanical and Engineering plants:

Data centres are graded using tiers 1-4+ (4+ having guns on the door.) Most data centres in the UK would be around the level of 3. Amongst the other things tier 3 requires the DC is provided power from diverse routes to the rack so that starts at a power sub station and runs all the way to the building into separate sub rooms then into Power Distribution Units then finally to the rack. In the rack there will be two power bars (plug sockets to you) these allow the machines that are placed in the rack to be fed from the two separate sub stations.

One of the power bars will also be hooked up to a UPS battery room. The UPS is not there to actually run the data centre it is there to smooth the power spike when the main power fails and the generators kick in. This is almost instant but not quick enough to stop a server from crashing. So the UPS can be thought of as a giant capacitor. Once the Generators kick in they will charge the batteries and keep the machines up. There will be separate generators for the chillers and plant so every thing is covered and can be ran like this indefinitely.

So if Joe Contractor is going to be an arse and break something he would need to power down the UPS (if that is even possible) Lock the Generators to OFF then wander off to two different PDU racks and switch them off... the whole process starts to look a lot like taking the death star down

Now given that a DC's job is to stay up there is a very stringent work process that makes any contractor that is doing M & E fill out statements of work and an associated risk management statement that explains how they will protect the up time while working.

The contractor cannot possibly think that they are taking both power feeds down at once because the statement of work explains exactly what they will be doing and how.

So no one pulled out a plug! Its not possible. the DC would be fully liable for the work and they won't take that sort of risk...

Now that the myth of someone un plugged me and I broke is dealt with lets talk about data replication....

Big distributed systems use something called data synchronisation that can be used to keep copies of the database in synchronisation at many places indeed. Databases have become so good at doing this EVEN Microsoft SQL server can be set up to create geographical load balanced database clusters that can be ran as live on every node and instantly merge the data between the nodes. The safest method is to have your local application server write to the far end first so that it can always know the transaction made it out the DC before it was committed to the database. That write can commit in many places at once an is also written to a transaction log in case the whole lot dies and it needs to be re-written from the logs. The whole process is almost bullet proof. I am a total and complete sod and even I have been unable to make it break when asked to.

So for Willies story to be true: Whoever is running this would need to have plugged all the servers on to only one PDU socket. Set up both sides of the clusters in the same place then deleted the transaction logs so that they couldn't auto rectify all of which points to a stupid bunch of muppets that has no understanding of basic mechanics or cluster layout. So yes my money is completely on TCS being in the frame for this...

Interesting, thanks for the explanation, this not being my area.
          But doesn't all this assume that BA is paying for state of the art kit and processes as opposed to the cost cutting they've been doing for years.
          If their system was set up in the 80s and they've not upgraded could it be they've not been following best practice?
          It's not the first data problem they've had which suggests their infrastructure is seriously crap.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Interesting, thanks for the explanation, this not being my area.
            But doesn't all this assume that BA is paying for state of the art kit and processes as opposed to the cost cutting they've been doing for years.
            If their system was set up in the 80s and they've not upgraded could it be they've not been following best practice?
            It's not the first data problem they've had which suggests their infrastructure is seriously crap.
            not just not following best practice, they are probably paying over the odds for running the UPS. Efficiency improvements were huge in the 90s. You could save the cost of the UPS in a couple of years.

Plus of course no one still carries a complete set of 40 year old spares.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

Are you one of the people who have emailed various media outlets and have told them that BA are talking tulipe?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The decline in BA service has been tangible for a while. Shame because in the 90s/00s they were very good, then they decided to compete with the low cost carriers. I think that was a mistake. People will pay extra for promptness, efficiency and a flying experience that's noticeably better than the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  The decline in BA service has been tangible for a while. Shame because in the 90s/00s they were very good, then they decided to compete with the low cost carriers. I think that was a mistake. People will pay extra for promptness, efficiency and a flying experience that's noticeably better than the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet.
                  This +1.

I used to feel it was worth the extra outlay, not anymore sadly.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Flew short haul on BA last weekend - they now charge charge for food and drink. Return flight was with easyJet, the service was exactly the same but BA were twice the price.

I don't mind paying for a better service but I don't want to be overpaying for a standard service

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                      Flew short haul on BA last weekend - they now charge charge for food and drink. Return flight was with easyJet, the service was exactly the same but BA were twice the price.

I don't mind paying for a better service but I don't want to be overpaying for a standard service
                      I believe some guy is taking them to court over the fact they now charge for food as when his family booked the tickets food was free.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X