• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BA contractor screw up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post

JCI now CBRE I think would actually use an FM plus Electrical staff/Contractors for any HV/PDU/UPS work probably a small herd of them
    They also are at pain to go through method statements H&S docs etc. ad nauseum before even picking their noses.

So whatever happened I don't think we are seeing the full story yet.

You only need one Cockwomble to create an Outage.
    Yep DC's are full of trained trades to handle this and I have never seen a cowboy amongst them because of the strict site rules and the fact that the electricity voltages are way higher than home so getting it wrong for a sparky is a one time thing.

Back to the BA thing if they over fed the UPS with power draw it should still only blow that rack not the whole room so something very broken and Im not convinced that it would have got signed off for its commissioning certificates had they spotted it when they refitted the system a few years back.

More fish than Billingsgate...

Comment

Thanks Bobspud for all the insight.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...lsh-passengers

"The actions of a technician who switched off and then reconnected the power supply to BA’s data centre are expected to form the centre of the inquiry, which will be carried out by an as-yet-unnamed external company".

Just cant get my head round this story. Its like a sitcom. Wonder what the BA IT Security is like.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        Contractor in this context mean most likely BT Openreach engineer
        Looks like my post was largely right

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          ...So yes my money is completely on TCS being in the frame for this...

The information I have second hand from an insider is that an IT partner was told to apply security patches. They were given 24 hours to do this. The patches were applied to both streams (computer systems running in parallel), instead of one and then the other. Then the data centre was powered down, and a power up (all at once) was attempted - so everything went to pot. All done in ten minutes, so they over-achieved the target.

Note that TCS (just as a hypothetical example) can be referred to as "a contractor".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            The information I have second hand from an insider is that an IT partner was told to apply security patches. They were given 24 hours to do this. The patches were applied to both streams (computer systems running in parallel), instead of one and then the other. Then the data centre was powered down, and a power up (all at once) was attempted - so everything went to pot. All done in ten minutes, so they over-achieved the target.

Note that TCS (just as a hypothetical example) can be referred to as "a contractor".
            This is exactly what I read on a flyers forum.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

What is the likelihood that the external company carrying out the inquiry are the same external company who were contracted in to carry out the work/support in the first place?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I noticed this line too....

The airline's UK IT infrastructure is said to span more than 500 cabinets in six halls across two different data centres, both of which are no more than a mile from the eastern end of Heathrow's two runways.
                I've worked for clients where the fact they're under a designated flight path or even within 10 miles of an airport means they will identify a geographically-distant location for a second data hall. BA have both within a mile from the end of a runway at one of the world's busiest airports?!

Other than that, I concur, it still all smells very fishy indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  What is the likelihood that the external company carrying out the inquiry are the same external company who were contracted in to carry out the work/support in the first place?
                  Reminds me of the Alex cartoon.
                  Alex to Penny : There is to be a BoE enquiry into derivatives
                  Penny to Alex: What are those things?
                  Alex to Penny : A way of offsetting your liabilities
                  Penny to Alex: So that what a derivative is!
                  Alex to Penny : No. Thats what a BoE enquiry is. No-one in the city has any idea what a derivative is.

Comment

computer equipment do not switch off from Safety Sign Supplies

BA say that they can prevent a similar occurrence at minimal cost
                    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
                      computer equipment do not switch off from Safety Sign Supplies

BA say that they can prevent a similar occurrence at minimal cost
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X