• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I much prefer my personal Dell Precision laptop to my client's Lenovo X1. The processor seems to scream everytime I open a complex excel sheet.
    You've got to remove the Lenovo bloatware - that and a few tweaks and it's fast enough.
    As I do most of my work on clientco serveres the laptop's just the interface - I like the fact that the keyboard can be used on a daily basis though - that's it's key advantage compared to other laptops IMO.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I much prefer my personal Dell Precision laptop to my client's Lenovo X1. The processor seems to scream everytime I open a complex excel sheet.

It's nice enough but the Dell XPS 15 (which is the consumer name for the precision laptop I have) is far nicer...

And as we are talking about buying a dell laptop - the outlet is far cheaper. Delivery is usually under a week...
      Dell Factory Outlet

you mean here?

It does say 1095 + VAT. Is it worth getting a refurb over brand new with 3 years warranty?

Comment

Re: the first link: bear in mind the casing of this dell WILL break in no time. My wife uses the same case dell (not same price) and the case was completely shattered around the hinge area after ~ 1 year. I needed to replace the cover which involves dismantling every single nut and bolt.

Go for a thinkpad.

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post

Go for a thinkpad.
          Maybe the OP wants to buy a laptop every year.
          Problem with thinkpads is they last so long, you get frustrated after a few years by not having the latest kit, buy a new one and are left with a prefectly good laptop surplus to requirements
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Maybe the OP wants to buy a laptop every year.
            Problem with thinkpads is they last so long, you get frustrated after a few years by not having the latest kit, buy a new one and are left with a prefectly good laptop surplus to requirements
            Which thinkpad do you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              Which thinkpad do you recommend?
              I have an X1 carbon which I use as a main machine with a big screen. The laptop screen size may be too small if you are constantly on the road though, in which case look for another Lenovo model - they're all good, keyboard is the best in the business.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                To celebrate my new role I'm looking to get a new laptop.

I think I've narrowed it down to the following:

Wondering if anybody has experience with either of them?

https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-xps-1...ilver/p3116124

https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-inspi...black/p3149854

Is it worth shelling out the extra 500 for the first one?

Cheers!

Are those ultrabooks or are all laptops “ultrabooks” these days?

I haven't bought one in a few years & portability was my main criterion last time.

Comment

You've got to remove the Lenovo bloatware - that and a few tweaks and it's fast enough.
                  As I do most of my work on clientco serveres the laptop's just the interface - I like the fact that the keyboard can be used on a daily basis though - that's it's key advantage compared to other laptops IMO.
                  So basically you are saying that its fine as a dumb terminal but agree with me that it's not suitable for heavy duty office work....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have an X1 carbon which I use as a main machine with a big screen. The laptop screen size may be too small if you are constantly on the road though, in which case look for another Lenovo model - they're all good, keyboard is the best in the business.
                    Keyboards are great, even minor spillages doesn't seem to affect them.

Bullet proof and I believe mine has an airbag in it if dropped.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
                      Re: the first link: bear in mind the casing of this dell WILL break in no time. My wife uses the same case dell (not same price) and the case was completely shattered around the hinge area after ~ 1 year. I needed to replace the cover which involves dismantling every single nut and bolt.

Go for a thinkpad.
                      The OP has 2 dell laptops in the first link. An Inspiron and the XPS model... The XPS models have a decent build and 3 years onsite warranty.

The Inspiron is a cheap pile of crud no one should waste money on - the XPS models are well built (there is an equivalent identical precision version) and its a 800g lighter...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X