• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Which thinkpad do you recommend?
    It depends for what purpose.
    Older refurbished T520 are very good. Great for coding.
    Older refurbished w520 are mobile workstations but are heavy and bulky. You can put up to 32 Gb RAM, 3 HDDs/SSDs and run multiple VMs.

Newer models T/W > 520 use the new keyboard I don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      So basically you are saying that its fine as a dumb terminal but agree with me that it's not suitable for heavy duty office work....
      Like I said you've got to remove the bloatware, I don't see any reason in the specs as to why it should be slow.
      Mine is lightning fast on the odd occasion I've dealt with large Excel files.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
        Re: the first link: bear in mind the casing of this dell WILL break in no time. My wife uses the same case dell (not same price) and the case was completely shattered around the hinge area after ~ 1 year. I needed to replace the cover which involves dismantling every single nut and bolt.

Go for a thinkpad.

How does your wife treat laptops?

It sounds like the person rather than the brand of laptop.

I brought my Dell after talking to a contractor who had his for 2 years and the casing hadn't broken once. My Dell is a year old and the casing is fine.

I was told when I brought my HP the casing always breaks on them and mine never did in the 4.5 years I used it.

The only laptop I have broken is a Lenovo Thinkpad but then I dropped it from a height on to a hard floor...
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
          It depends for what purpose.
          Older refurbished T520 are very good. Great for coding.
          Older refurbished w520 are mobile workstations but are heavy and bulky. You can put up to 32 Gb RAM, 3 HDDs/SSDs and run multiple VMs.

Newer models T/W > 520 use the new keyboard I don't like.
          Mines a W530 with 32 Gb of RAM, I got used to the new keyboard, fine with it now.
          It is bulky but was meant as a desktop replacement.

I did like the old keyboards as well, however.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Mines a W530 with 32 Gb of RAM, I got used to the new keyboard, fine with it now.
            It is bulky but was meant as a desktop replacement.

I did like the old keyboards as well, however.
            The old keyboards were the bees knees, the new ones not as great, but still beat the opposition.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Like I said you've got to remove the bloatware, I don't see any reason in the specs as to why it should be slow.
              Mine is lightning fast on the odd occasion I've dealt with large Excel files.
              I'm not sure what bloatware exists on a freshly installed Windows 10 Enterprise edition installation. The issue isn't software its a blooming loud fan when the processors are asked to do something. So I think the problem is a fan or cpu overheating issue.

Mind you the keyboard isn't bad...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I'm not sure what bloatware exists on a freshly installed Windows 10 Enterprise edition installation. The issue isn't software its a blooming loud fan when the processors are asked to do something. So I think the problem is a fan or cpu overheating issue.

Mind you the keyboard isn't bad...
                Maybe its Windows 10 that's the problem? I've stuck with 7.
                Mine is so quiet I can't hear it at all even when major processing is going on.
                The previous one was quite loud though and did tend to get hotter. Which model/version is it you use?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Maybe its Windows 10 that's the problem? I've stuck with 7.
                  Mine is so quiet I can't hear it at all even when major processing is going on.
                  The previous one was quite loud though and did tend to get hotter. Which model/version is it you use?
                  Oh JC almighty. I am using W7 and it hung last night; it had attempted to auto install an update for W10! What are MS up to?
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Oh JC almighty. I am using W7 and it hung last night; it had attempted to auto install an update for W10! What are MS up to?
                    I installed a small App on mine to prevent any such things, Never 10 its called.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      I installed a small App on mine to prevent any such things, Never 10 its called.
                      Don't think that's an option with this client - I'm more likely to be a guinea pig - no matter how embarrassing the end results can end up being...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X