Contracting at death's door? Contracting at death's door? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    I've had the benefit of supporting the flexible labour market across the world. We will be just fine.
    Even without free movement ?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  2. #12

    Fingers like lightning

    Andy Hallett has more data than eek

    Andy Hallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Even without free movement ?
    100% yes.

  3. #13

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    100% yes.
    How does that work for you?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  4. #14

    Fingers like lightning

    ShandyDrinker has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    I've had the benefit of supporting the flexible labour market across the world. We will be just fine.
    Depends on your definition of fine?

    For agencies I don't expect things will change too much but for the majority of poor sods who will end up being dragged into IR35 whether it is applicable or not will not be fine, assuming of course the direction of travel is applying IR35 outside of the public sector.

  5. #15

    Fingers like lightning

    Andy Hallett has more data than eek

    Andy Hallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
    Depends on your definition of fine?

    For agencies I don't expect things will change too much but for the majority of poor sods who will end up being dragged into IR35 whether it is applicable or not will not be fine, assuming of course the direction of travel is applying IR35 outside of the public sector.
    Actually I think the market will be just fine, certainly for genuine independent contractors. The issue in recent years is people who really should be temps or employees have been forced into contracting almost as a low cost alternative.

    I suspect what will happen is that this cohort will increasingly return to the perm market again as IR35 and other tax measures such as dividend changes and removal of FRVS continue to bite.

    We will then see genuine contractors moving to 'Statement of Works agreements. More tightly procured, more risk passed down but also more reward.

  6. #16

    Fingers like lightning

    ShandyDrinker has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    Actually I think the market will be just fine, certainly for genuine independent contractors. The issue in recent years is people who really should be temps or employees have been forced into contracting almost as a low cost alternative.

    I suspect what will happen is that this cohort will increasingly return to the perm market again as IR35 and other tax measures such as dividend changes and removal of FRVS continue to bite.

    We will then see genuine contractors moving to 'Statement of Works agreements. More tightly procured, more risk passed down but also more reward.
    Fair response.

    I think it would greatly enhance the sector to move to 'Statement of Works agreements' as you say but from my experience of contracting over the past decade, the number of both clients and agencies who have been prepared to work to this model have been few and far between in part due to the fact that it takes a lot more work for all concerned.

  7. #17

    Super poster

    Hobosapien - scorchio!

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Will be interesting to see how contracting continues to be affected by the evolution of employment and the 'gig economy'.

    Easy to see future solutions by the big players (that shape government rules by their lobbying) where we all are self employed, use an app to offer our services/availability, and the app provider sorts out the tax liabilities and transfers the rest into the person's bank account automatically. Employers no longer have any employees (beyond a core they need long term, which will become smaller as more roles are automated or evolve), so they just pay a rate to the app provider and don't have to worry about payroll, pensions, or any of the other employee rights and benefits.

    i.e. the opposite of what Corbyn and the old thinkers are on about.

    Who's going to be the one to come up with the app that takes over, Deliveroo?
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  8. #18

    Fingers like lightning

    Andy Hallett has more data than eek

    Andy Hallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
    Fair response.

    I think it would greatly enhance the sector to move to 'Statement of Works agreements' as you say but from my experience of contracting over the past decade, the number of both clients and agencies who have been prepared to work to this model have been few and far between in part due to the fact that it takes a lot more work for all concerned.
    Our clients are the ones driving this to be fair, as you say it's more work, and also more risk, but with risk comes reward.

    Part of my new role is looking at productising how we do this.

  9. #19

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg - scorchio!

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    32,094

    Default

    I've been contracting for getting on 10 years (nothing compared to many here) and since day 1 of joining CUK, people have been prophesying the end of contracting.

    It might grow and shrink over time depending on the economy, government policy, etc, but the contracting market simply isn't going anywhere. Make sure you're good and don't fritter away your war-chest!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  10. #20

    More time posting than coding

    Elliegirl has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Wherever I lay my hat
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    I've been contracting for getting on 10 years (nothing compared to many here) and since day 1 of joining CUK, people have been prophesying the end of contracting.

    It might grow and shrink over time depending on the economy, government policy, etc, but the contracting market simply isn't going anywhere. Make sure you're good and don't fritter away your war-chest!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •