• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting at death's door?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I'm far richer than my better half. I have the capital mainly, we earn about the same.
    Then move to Belgium. No CGT.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
      I've had the benefit of supporting the flexible labour market across the world. We will be just fine.
      I have the benefit of being part of a group with companies in a number of countries, mainly in the EU. Losing EU citizenship will complicate matters quite a bit for UK contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
        Actually I think the market will be just fine, certainly for genuine independent contractors. The issue in recent years is people who really should be temps or employees have been forced into contracting almost as a low cost alternative.

I suspect what will happen is that this cohort will increasingly return to the perm market again as IR35 and other tax measures such as dividend changes and removal of FRVS continue to bite.

We will then see genuine contractors moving to 'Statement of Works agreements. More tightly procured, more risk passed down but also more reward.
        Unfortunately around 95% of all (UK) contractors think about themselves as just "wanting a job" - e.g. temp staff, but with tax benefits. And of the 5% remaining, few in the UK are willing to work against an SOW with invoicing after delivery or in instalments and 30+ days (75+ is more of the norm) payment terms.

Comment

Working...
        X