• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    I wasn't advocating the return of fox hunting. Far from it.

Purple Gorilla said 'Foxes should be shot with shotguns". That's a fairly plain and simple view. And utterly wrong.
    Wrong to shoot them? Or wrong to shoot them with a shotgun?

Whatever they use to shoot badgers with I would imagine would be fine for foxes. Ask Dr May...
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      Unfortunately the reality is that a lot of school lunches serve Pizza and chips/fires on a regular basis, not exactly healthy food. Sugar tax/ban on fizzy drinks is hardly effective when everything else from pasta sauce to baked beans is packed full of sugar.

Free school meals are a good idea, but hard to implement without some vegan (insert any other food snob type here) cry of discrimination makes the live of the school admin staff a hell.
      If you pay for the kids food then the money saved by the parents will be spent on what?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        Go on then, tell us all about your gun shooting prowess.
        I wasn't professing any prowess, but you are probably aware of that.

Shot guns are not suitable for killing foxes. Absolute minimum .17hmr, more commonly .22 or .232cf.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Wrong to shoot them? Or wrong to shoot them with a shotgun?

Whatever they use to shoot badgers with I would imagine would be fine for foxes. Ask Dr May...
          If you want to use a shotgun on an animal the size of a fox, you need to be within about 15 metres to have a chance of killing it, otherwise you'll leave it with a few nasty injuries that will take a few days to kill it.
          You want a reasonably high powered rifle, in the hands of a skilled marksman to do the job quickly.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            If you want to use a shotgun on an animal the size of a fox, you need to be within about 15 metres to have a chance of killing it, otherwise you'll leave it with a few nasty injuries that will take a few days to kill it.
            You want a reasonably high powered rifle, in the hands of a skilled marksman to do the job quickly.
            ^^ This

Comment

Shot guns are not suitable for killing foxes. Absolute minimum .17hmr, more commonly .22 or .232cf.
              I know nothing about guns. One of my mates who lives in the sticks has a chap next to him who keeps chickens - and he blaps the foxes with his 12guage. I'm sure a rifle is best, as you say. But a gun seems to be more humane than a pack of dogs (assuming a quick kill) and that was all I meant by my earlier post.

May is a witch who wants to bring back killing foxes with a pack of dogs.

Comment

I know nothing about guns. One of my mates who lives in the sticks has a chap next to him who keeps chickens - and he blaps the foxes with his 12guage. I'm sure a rifle is best, as you say. But a gun seems to be more humane than a pack of dogs (assuming a quick kill) and that was all I meant my my earlier post.
                if the foxes are anywhere near his chickens when he does that, he'll be liable to 'blap' his chickens and his coop too.

Comment

Can you provide clearer instructions, maybe a hand written map to your point, please?

I love all these non country dwelling types advising on the management of mans interference.

For example:-

Introduce and support the re introduction of Otters (with rivers that cannot support them in the terms stocks of fish and unknown numbers being released, so difficulty in establishing their own dog otter wide area) and Beavers indiscriminately. It should be noted as an Apex predator the "cuddly" otter is wiping out of impacting many other species such as ground nesting birds down the line.
                  Protect Badgers, even with an explosion in size of numbers and a known TB problem.
                  Controlling foxes, not necessarily by hunting, in fact hunting catches very few foxes in reality.

A lot of my family still live in the country so we have discussed these sorts of things many times.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

if the foxes are anywhere near his chickens when he does that, he'll be liable to 'blap' his chickens and his coop too.
                    I think he does it mainly to scare them away.

Comment

I think he does it mainly to scare them away.
                      It works. When I get out my gun the chickens are scared.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X