• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I buy the, "look at the londoners they just have to get on with it"

but the personal insults from the arm chair warriors are not necessary on this sensitive subject

Milan

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      Evening All,

In the summer, Benes Invoicing and Ltd and Family will be visiting the folks over the bridge in the FoD.

These days when we visit the UK we normally fly in to Gatwick, rent a car, drive up to the smoke, stay at the Travel Lodge in Covent Garden (they do a fantastic all you can eat English breakfast) and take in the sights, go to Hamleys etc, dinner in China Town and then the next day go museums and sites of interest and then drive across to the West Country. And then fly out from Brisl and leave the rental car there.

I've got the Travel Lodge booked, but after three attacks this year, two of which were in central London, even though I am a die hard won't change my behavior because of these attacks, despite all that, I am a little bit getting cold feet and thinking to forget the smoke and drive straight round the M25 and down the M4 to the West Country without spending time in the smoke.

Hence the question, what would you do ?

Give the smoke a miss on this trip, or, believe that the Government and their Agencies will have this all under control ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last year when Germany kept getting attacked and Britain not I thought it was because our government has it under control, but now I am not so sure.

Milan in "don't want to be a coward, but it would be a shame becoming a statistic because of one's pride" mode.
      As a Londoner, I can think of plenty of reasons to avoid Covent Garden, and the risk of a terrorist attack doesn't even get close to the top twenty. Find somewhere nicer (shouldn't be hard) and ask them if they'll change your booking.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

well, I guess we should give it a miss

Milan

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          As a Londoner, I can think of plenty of reasons to avoid Covent Garden, and the risk of a terrorist attack doesn't even get close to the top twenty. Find somewhere nicer (shouldn't be hard) and ask them if they'll change your booking.

We always have a great time there especially in August, last year we were walking back from having our dinner in China town at about 9pm and we heard what sounded like the start of a Grand Prix, I guessed what it was and we zoomed down to Piccadilly Circus to see the Middle East tourists revving up their Lamborghinis what a show that was

Central London is gorgeous it's unique and for my children who live in a quiet village it's an eye opener

So no doubts about staying in cogent garden

Just don't want to become a statistic

Milan

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Honest to God........are you fooking French??
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

oh dear the arm chair warriors are out tonight

well, I guess we should give it a miss

because when the losers are calling me a wimp it's time to do the opposite of what they are saying

Milan
              I live in London.

If I want to go out somewhere I will.

You are a wimp - you may as well not visit any UK city or airport as the terrorists will attack any random one.

Didn't the IRA bombings teach you anything? Any UK place is a target. You just have to hope someone​ nicks the ticking suitcase when it's on a train.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I live in London.

If I want to go out somewhere I will.

You are a wimp - you may as well not visit any UK city or airport as the terrorists will attack any random one.
                This^^^ I was actually in London last night with my Mrs and daughter as well as my brother-in-law and my niece.
                We passed through London Bridge underground barely an hour after the events on our way back from a Depeche Mode concert at the Olympic Stadium.
                Fact is, there is virtually no chance of ever getting embroiled in these incidents unless you are phenomenally unfortunate.
                If you begin to alter your life on the basis of them then you are letting the terrorist win.
                Not for me thanks, and you don't need to be any sort of "warrior", you just need a bit of backbone.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I'm scheduled to start a new gig in That London (NW1) on Monday.

I'm fecked if I'm going to let the medievelists interfere with a single day's billing

BTW, I'm a Manc, and have spent a number of very pleasant evenings at the Arena, scene of the last suicide bombing.

We should feed the remains of these gits to the pigs. No ceremony, no memorial. Just pigtulip.

Comment

We should feed the remains of these gits to the pigs
                    Surely pigs don't eat Muslims? It's against their religion.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Off to see GNR in a fortnight, staying around Olympic village.

IRA didn't stop me years ago and neither will today's loonie fringe. Life is too short and, well, best enjoyed.

Comment

Working...
                      X