• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Enough is Enough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Majid Nawaz had a good take on this.

Maajid Nawaz's Four-Point Plan To Defeat Islamist Terrorists - LBC

separating the inspiration (however misguided) from the belief.
    Very nice, but what about tackling the source of the poison?
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      I'll be very surprised if she does any of this.
      Yes, I've been thinking about this because it seems very un British to ban people from wearing certain attire but I've now changed my mind.

Just wearing that attire is a statement in itself that you are different from the rest of us and that you have no desire to integrate.

Plus there's the security aspect whereby you can't judge somebody's intentions when you can't read their facial expressions. Not to mention the fact that I have to remove my crash helmet to enter certain establishments where women in niqabs do not.

It's divisive in other words. I think it's time to have a rethink.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
        Yes, I've been thinking about this because it seems very un British to ban people from wearing certain attire but I've now changed my mind.

Just wearing that attire is a statement in itself that you are different from the rest of us and that you have no desire to integrate.

Plus there's the security aspect whereby you can't judge somebody's intentions when you can't read their facial expressions. Not to mention the fact that I have to remove my crash helmet to enter certain establishments where women in niqabs do not.

It is un-British to ban types of clothes. It would be better if it was seen as something backward or ridiculous within the Muslim community and not promoted.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          It is un-British to ban types of clothes. It would be better if it was seen as something backward or ridiculous within the Muslim community and not promoted.
          Or not to have muslim community at all. Problem solved.

Comment

Enough is Enough

The Niqab doesn't cover the face, just the hair, it can look smart especially when in a bright colour. [edit - this is wrong the niqab does cover the face ] Intrinsically I don't have an issue with it. The full face veil is another matter, and should be banned.

I think at the end of the day it is about respecting everybody else around you and having a bit of modesty and discretion.
            Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 5 June 2017, 09:58.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
              Or not to have muslim community at all. Problem solved.
              Seems a bit of an absurd over reaction.

Comment

bright colour. Intrinsically I don't have an issue with it. The full face veil is another matter, and should be banned.

I think at the end of the day it is about respecting everybody else around you and having a bit of modesty and discretion.[/QUOTE]

No, the niqab is the full veil - the one that looks like a black pillarbox with just a small rectangular opening for the eyes.

As opposed to the burqa which is also a full face covering but with a kind of mesh covering the face.

[QUOTE=PurpleGorilla;2425218]The Niqab doesn't cover the face, just the hair, it can look smart especially when in a
                Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 5 June 2017, 09:54.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  Unfortunately, there are many, many more of them wearing it though.

Where I went to university, there was a large Pakistani neighbourhood & the women did not wear the niqab. Ever.

When I went back there a couple of years ago, they were everywhere. I'm assuming it's the younger generation who are doing it & again, I can't help feeling that, to a certain extent, it's a mark of defiance.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    Seems a bit of an absurd over reaction.
                    It's not us that should reform. They should. And they don't do this.

Comment

No, the niqab is the full veil - the one that looks like a black pillarbox with just a small rectangular opening for the eyes.

As opposed to the burqa which is also a full face covering but with a kind of mesh covering the face.
                      My mistake - I was thinking of the Hijab.

Personally I would ban the three in the middle:

Comment

Working...
                      X