• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accidentally nuked production database

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    1) Segregate DEV, Test and Production environments completely.
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Racist!!!
    Send the Test environments home. We don't need test environments coming over here, taking up our storage, claiming our kernels and lowering the performance.

This message has been brought to you by the EDL (Environment Defence League), making our databases Strong and Stable.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

ooooohhh you dba's get so protective, god help you if a clever dev ends up doing a bit of database work and your plate juggling is found out.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        ooooohhh you dba's get so protective, god help you if a clever dev ends up doing a bit of database work and your plate juggling is found out.
        Not a DBA, I just recognise the need for them.

Devs should go nowhere near R/W on production. They should be allowed to review them to see what the DBAs screwed up.

Point is there should be a process.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Why should I do a job that I can dump on someone else?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

you're not getting sysadmin access.

*hugs*

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Not a DBA, I just recognise the need for them.

Devs should go nowhere near R/W on production. They should be allowed to review them to see what the DBAs screwed up.

Point is there should be a process.
              I'm only messin - I recognise the need for processes, I just don't like the distinction between DBA's and Devs. I think a developer needs to have an excellent and practical understanding of databases.

Comment

I'm not a DBA, but I've worked with a few.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Been both an SA and DBA in my time but know how bad things get when you let Coders learn on the job.

I once watched a live deployment where the first step in the job was run the file

backup_live_marketdataDB.sh

Next step was

drop_tablespace_live_marketdataDB.sh

First script failed second one didn't....

chap in singapore said: "Thats fine I get that message on my laptop as well..."

I pointed out that his laptop is not the DEV/TEST or LIVE environment and the ******* script should have been working because the Junior SA just destroyed the market data DB that had 20 years historical pricing and that the upgrade and reload had better work or there will be a lot of very pissed off traders...

that client had a less than 50% success rate for development code successfully deploying to live first time...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    Been both an SA and DBA in my time but know how bad things get when you let Coders learn on the job.

I once watched a live deployment where the first step in the job was run the file

backup_live_marketdataDB.sh

Next step was

drop_tablespace_live_marketdataDB.sh

First script failed second one didn't....

chap in singapore said: "Thats fine I get that message on my laptop as well..."

I pointed out that his laptop is not the DEV/TEST or LIVE environment and the ******* script should have been working because the Junior SA just destroyed the market data DB that had 20 years historical pricing and that the upgrade and reload had better work or there will be a lot of very pissed off traders...

that client had a less than 50% success rate for development code successfully deploying to live first time...

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm fairly confident this tale of woe didn't happen. It's a typical troll post.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X