• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accidentally nuked production database

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    DBAs are the custodians of the data, Devs are the chaos monkeys that need to be tamed.
    DBAs are failed devs, they then guard the database so the devs can't see how tulip they are.

Only joking again, some of them are failed testers or even worse failed project managers.

Ok need to get back to my work, this access database won't design itself.

Comment

Somebody should start a "What is the Biggest IT Cockup You've Ever Made?" thread.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Somebody should start a "What is the Biggest IT Cockup You've Ever Made?" thread.
        I've not made one.

I was once told I had to touch production systems but managed to get out of it.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I've not made one.

I was once told I had to touch production systems but managed to get out of it.
          So you never have had the pleasure of a place with just the one environment (prod)
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Don't be silly.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              So you never have had the pleasure of a place with just the one environment (prod)
              That's where I do all my testing, cause it takes the DBAs too long to copy down to Dev/CRP/QA
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                That's where I do all my testing, cause it takes the DBAs too long to copy down to Dev/CRP/QA
                Ours replicates fairly quickly, after a few hours.

The main issue is that the offshore team have trouble getting the latest months data I request.
                This is even after confirming that a certain Month End will need to be in there 4 times
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  For the last year I was working at a place in Bangor with only one environment. Amazingly I did not make a single screw up. Either I am getting old or I am not working fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                    I don't believe this story either.

There is no way that a junior dev on their first day can nuke a production database.

And if they could, the dev wouldn't be fired - someone more senior would for making it possible.
                    I believe it because I did the same thing, as posted in the other thread. Literally on my first day too. I wasn't fired though.

The owner threw a bit of a strop, but everyone else asked me how I managed it then told me it was an easy thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X