• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Better than gold...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better than gold...

Top Gear presenter's 'better than gold' storage investment scheme shut down

A firm selling "storage pods" to pension investors offering 85pc returns has been issued with a winding up order by the Government.

Lancashire-based Store First offered a "guaranteed" 8pc return in the first two years, rising to 10pc in years three and four.

Promoted in a series of adverts featuring former Top Gear presenter Quentin Willson, investors could purchase the self-storage containers and then rent them out or sell them on.

In one ad, still on Youtube, Mr Willson, who presented the motoring show in the Nineties, said it was an investment concept "you really need to listen to".

In one example he said a £15,000 investment could return £13,000 in six years.

"That's 85pc profit in six years. Call me old fashioned, but who needs gold?", he said.

Mr Willson goes on to explain the "entry level" investment is £3,750, up to a maximum of £1m.

"But the idea is to buy one, then another, and one after that (AtW's comment: yeah, that's how Ponzi scheme makers want it to happen - everybody just buys in new tulip, while they sell it...). And you're getting all this rental income coming in and you're building up this portfolio of store pods which you can eventually sell at a profit. It's clear, it's simple, there are no hidden fees, no hidden charges.

"It is a transparent, hassle-free investment", he said.

Not totally sure its' same company but think I looked into investing in this scheme a couple of years back. Decided against it fortunately.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

In one ad, still on Youtube
      deffo a scam:

Comment

Lets hope DP stuck with gold.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

A firm selling "storage pods" to pension investors offering 85pc returns has been issued with a winding up order by the Government.

Lancashire-based Store First offered a "guaranteed" 8pc return in the first two years, rising to 10pc in years three and four.

Promoted in a series of adverts featuring former Top Gear presenter Quentin Willson, investors could purchase the self-storage containers and then rent them out or sell them on.

:::
          I'd have asked myself how this could be viable when one can buy huge second hand shipping containers for peanuts, e.g. a forty foot long secure steel container I saw on sale the other day, large enough to walk about in, like the back of a giant artic, for £1500. That's probably little more than the scrap metal is worth.

The only snag is where to store the damned thing, and how to manoeuvre it into place (with a hired crane presumably). But it's no problem if one has a reasonable sized garden.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If it was viable (guaranteed 8%) they would no be raising money from retail inexperienced investors...

Comment

Of course its better than gold......for those running the scheme
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
              X