• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diane Abbott is "ill"? Yeah, right.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    its fairly new research. No I am not blaming it for mine, other medical conditions, stress & sedentary lifestyle caused it.
    Interesting, because the diabetics in my family were put on statins as routine treatment for being diabetic.

I suspect that the only chance I have about diabetes is whether I end up type 1 or type 2. I'm betting on type 1.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Interesting, because the diabetics in my family were put on statins as routine treatment for being diabetic.

I suspect that the only chance I have about diabetes is whether I end up type 1 or type 2. I'm betting on type 1.
      Not necessarily.

Not all type 2s are obese, and have ever been obese or overweight.

Likewise not all type 1s are normal weight.

I was shocked the first time I met an obese type 1.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Not necessarily.

Not all type 2s are obese, and have ever been obese or overweight.

Likewise not all type 1s are normal weight.

I was shocked the first time I met an obese type 1.
        Given that my mum has type 1 and borderline type 2 polyglandular autoimmune syndrome, and an underactive thyroid, the odds of me developing type 1 are roughly 1 in 2. Type 2 tends to be familial rather than genetic (though there is some genetic basis), but I'm betting that at some stage I'll be diagnosed with type 1.

On the plus side - free prescriptions
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Given that my mum has type 1 and borderline type 2 polyglandular autoimmune syndrome, and an underactive thyroid, the odds of me developing type 1 are roughly 1 in 2. Type 2 tends to be familial rather than genetic (though there is some genetic basis), but I'm betting that at some stage I'll be diagnosed with type 1.

I rather eat what I like, not go blind, not have the risk of having my limbs amputated, etc and most of all not deal with GPs who don't give a f***.

Comment

I'm type 2 - borderline now - and pay for the prescriptions.

The money we coin in and free prescriptions doesn't sit well with me. The woman in the chemist is amazed anyone chooses to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
              I'm type 2 - borderline now - and pay for the prescriptions.

The money we coin in and free prescriptions doesn't sit well with me. The woman in the chemist is amazed anyone chooses to pay.
              The prescriptions are free because you need more of them than healthier people.

It is also cheaper to give you a prescription for antibiotics - £11 compared to amputating your lower leg - £30K

So we, as taxpayers, are doing ourselves a favour by giving them to you.

(Oh and well done for sorting out your blood sugar - keep going.)

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I rather eat what I like, not go blind, not have the risk of having my limbs amputated, etc and most of all not deal with GPs who don't give a f***.
                So would I.

However, as I have said, the odds of me getting type 1 are roughly 1 in 2. I'm not entirely sure what I can do to reduce the chance of me getting diabetes beyond funding JDRF to try and find a cure.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Type 2 tends to be familial rather than genetic (though there is some genetic basis)
                  What does that mean? That families tend to do the same (wrong) things?

My Dad has Type 2, but triggered from becoming overweight in his 60s.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Families tend to have the same lifestyle so if one eats too much they all tend to. If one sits on his/her fat behind they all tend to.

Plus from the Dutch famine studies they have found that if the grandmother was starved while pregnant then all the descendants have an increased risk of type 2 diabetes.

So what happened to your grandmother and mother when pregnant plus your birth weight is important. The reason this was raised as they found that some people if they go slightly overweight for them e.g. on the BMI and other measurements they are not overweight or obese, they get type 2 diabetes.
                    Last edited by SueEllen; 14 June 2017, 12:51.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

There is a stronger link between family history for type 2 than type 1, but it ends to depend on environmental factors as well. Lifestyle has been shown to be a key indicator in developing type 2, and there is a link between type 2 and obesity. Obesity tends to run in families, and children tend to pick up bad habits from their parents.

Where a family has a history of type 2, it may be that anyone diagnosed gets it because of lifestyle factors or genetics - most research suggests that it tends to be a combination of both.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X