• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diane Abbott is "ill"? Yeah, right.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    I'm type 2 - borderline now - and pay for the prescriptions.

The money we coin in and free prescriptions doesn't sit well with me. The woman in the chemist is amazed anyone chooses to pay.
    My better half has secondary progressive MS, is wheelchair bound, needs me as her carer, is registered disabled, and still has to pay for her own prescriptions.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      My better half has secondary progressive MS, is wheelchair bound, needs me as her carer, is registered disabled, and still has to pay for her own prescriptions.
      Yeah I know - that seems absurd. I thought the reason that diabetes prescriptions were free was because it's classed as a disability. I don't understand why your wife's condition would be any different.

Comment

Yeah I know - that seems absurd. I thought the reason that diabetes prescriptions were free was because it's classed as a disability. I don't understand why your wife's condition would be any different.
        Nope.

The list is based on the old cost to the NHS of treating complications of the disease.

For example asthma isn't on the list even though it should be as when they made the list up people didn't commonly have asthma as an adult.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If she is prescribed something directly related to her illness, say she was on disease modifying drugs like Rebif, then that would be free. As there is no drug available on the NHS for secondary progressive though she is not on anything. What she does need is pain relief (among other drugs) but she has to pay for these even though they are to relieve her symptoms. Seems strange.

Thankfully we can afford the cost but I'd be concerned for less well off families as prescriptions are not cheap anymore!

Comment

Help with prescription costs - Health costs - NHS Choices

People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions if:
            they have one of the conditions listed below, and
            they hold a valid medical exemption certificate.

a continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months
            I would suggest she would probably count, talk to your pharmacist. From the description I would like her to be entitled.

Have you got the annual prescription option?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Nope.

The list is based on the old cost to the NHS of treating complications of the disease.

For example asthma isn't on the list even though it should be as when they made the list up people didn't commonly have asthma as an adult.
              That's interesting, I have asthma (diagnosed recently and triggered by exercise and allergies) and I have to pay for everything too. Looks like I'll be on the meds now the rest of my life .... or at least whilst I'm still fit and exercising, and the sun is out

Comment

I pay for prescriptions for Crohn's Disease, and the point of the meds is to stop me needing expensive surgery again. Perhaps it's just a question of numbers (i.e. Diabetes much more common).
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

That's interesting, I have asthma (diagnosed recently and triggered by exercise and allergies) and I have to pay for everything too. Looks like I'll be on the meds now the rest of my life .... or at least whilst I'm still fit and exercising, and the sun is out
                  The worst part of the list is that some conditions they expected people to die before they reached adulthood e.g. cystic fibrosis.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That's interesting, I have asthma (diagnosed recently and triggered by exercise ...)
                    I've often thought people jogging along busy roads in London are doing themselves more harm than good, puffing and panting in all that ozone and NO2 and worst of all those noxious diesel fumes and particulates. It's absolutely bonkers.

I know pedestrians breathe the same air. But joggers are presumably more at risk because they must tend to take deeper breaths.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      I've often thought people jogging along busy roads in London are doing themselves more harm than good, puffing and panting in all that ozone and NO2 and worst of all those noxious diesel fumes and particulates. It's absolutely bonkers.

I know pedestrians breathe the same air. But joggers are presumably more at risk because they must tend to take deeper breaths.
                      I even saw someone jogging through the Rotherhithe Tunnel recently
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X