Theresa May to declare State of Emergency Theresa May to declare State of Emergency - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 72

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    So if we had more police we could do more stop and search/spot checks on lets say people who look like Muslims and who go to places know to be where Muslims go to meet?

I think when that was tried there were screams of racism and victimisation.

So yes I am all for spending more money on an anti terrorist squad specifically targeting the muslim community as that is 'the group of people' where the perpetrators of the last two attacks claim to come from.

How does that sit with you?
    No, you're twisting arguments to suit your agenda. As was said by others - more police working in communities means that they have a better chance of spotting, catching, reacting to and investigating people flying ISIS flags, etc.

You don't need policemen to go around measuring the length of people's beards and telling them they need to wear a star on their arm.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Super poster

Hobosapien - scorchio!

France has been in a 'state of emergency' since the Paris attacks in 2015. Sounds like May is proposing same here.

Was over in Paris last year for some of the Euro 2016 and while there was loads of army outside the Eiffel Tower fanzone otherwise it was very much business as usual. Was in there for the Wales v England game and it was a riot, in the good way.

So if this change allows them the freedom to clamp down on the evil brainwashed scum then I see no problem. It's when they use these attacks as an excuse to further a different agenda that it all gets a bit dodgy.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Godlike

PurpleGorilla - scorchio!

So if we had more police we could do more stop and search/spot checks on lets say people who look like Muslims and who go to places know to be where Muslims go to meet?

So yes I am all for spending more money on an anti terrorist squad specifically targeting the muslim community as that is 'the group of people' where the perpetrators of the last two attacks claim to come from.

Watch this:

http://metro.co.uk/video/gmp-inspect.../?ito=vjs-link

It's about community policing - the grass roots communications and presence within communities that gathers intelligence.

Double Godlike!

original PM is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    No, you're twisting arguments to suit your agenda. As was said by others - more police working in communities means that they have a better chance of spotting, catching, reacting to and investigating people flying ISIS flags, etc.

You don't need policemen to go around measuring the length of people's beards and telling them they need to wear a star on their arm.
    Why spend time and money putting more police on the streets of leafy burbs containing middle class white people

when no terror attacks have been performed by middle class white people in the UK in living memory?

Do not just spend money on a blanket solution when you need a targeted solution - it is weak and will not achieve the goal you set out to achieve.

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

Why spend time and money putting more police on the streets of leafy burbs containing middle class white people
    Because they are fooking paying for it with high taxes?

Good enough reason in my book.

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Because they are fooking paying for it with high taxes?

Good enough reason in my book.
    Yes but they would prefer to be able to go to a large city without the fear of some nutter from a non leafy burn who is potentially or almost certainly a muslim from a mainly muslim community committing an act of terrorism - so police those communities better.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

when no terror attacks have been performed by middle class white people in the UK in living memory?

Do not just spend money on a blanket solution when you need a targeted solution - it is weak and will not achieve the goal you set out to achieve.
    Again, you are twisting the argument. Who said police would only be put into leafy suburbs?
    Is that like saying "there's no bad people living in middle England, they all live in poor slums"
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Again, you are twisting the argument. Who said police would only be put into leafy suburbs?
    Is that like saying "there's no bad people living in middle England, they all live in poor slums"
    The point I am trying to make is that we do not need more police in leafy burbs so do not spend the money there.

Spend the money policing the areas where the problems are known to come from.

How am I twisting the argument - I have no desire for more police on the streets I have a desire to live without fear of terrorism.

And putting more police on the streets != less terrorism

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

You're probably to young to remember SUS (stopped many a time) and anyway I was just pointing out that May was warned about police cuts
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    You're probably to young to remember SUS (stopped many a time) and anyway I was just pointing out that May was warned about police cuts
    Yes but the point is we know where the terrorist come from, we know in general what they dress like and we know in general where they will go to congregate - so referencing the Vagrancy Act 1824 is possibly legitimate.

I know that it is a very small minority who are committing the terrorist attacks but if that community will not call them out - and by that I do not mean call a terrorist hotline I mean make a citizens arrest and ensure they are passed to police custody.

Also sadly the UK police is hampered by a ridiculous level of 'politic scheming' so it would not surprise me to find things overlooked and blamed on 'the reduction in police budgets' when it is fook all to do with it.