Theresa May reduces border security budget Theresa May reduces border security budget - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 39
  1. #11

    Suffers Fools...Badly!

    shaunbhoy is always on top

    shaunbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    29,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    They were flagged to police before the attack, maybe cuts to police meant that the resources were not available to assess the risk and prevent the attack in the first place.
    Maybe, but then again maybe not.
    I am not suggesting that cuts are a good thing, but the cuts were much more likely to have been made in the bloated back office battalions that most police forces seem to have.
    It will be no bad thing to spend more on targeting terrorism, but people need to stop just using historical cost-cutting exercises as a stick with which to beat the PM because they have another agenda.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

  2. #12

    Godlike

    PurpleGorilla - scorchio!

    PurpleGorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Maybe, but then again maybe not.
    I am not suggesting that cuts are a good thing, but the cuts were much more likely to have been made in the bloated back office battalions that most police forces seem to have.
    It will be no bad thing to spend more on targeting terrorism, but people need to stop just using historical cost-cutting exercises as a stick with which to beat the PM because they have another agenda.
    Well the inquiry will help answer that.

  3. #13

    Double Godlike!

    original PM is a fount of knowledge

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    12,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Well the inquiry will help answer that.
    Unless it's run be people who want to create a stick to beat the PM with.....

  4. #14

    Suffers Fools...Badly!

    shaunbhoy is always on top

    shaunbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    29,684

    Default

    Maybe we could reskill those Police that man speed traps to watch out for terrorists?

    Doesn't seem to have been much of a scaling back of their numbers!!
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

  5. #15

    Godlike

    PurpleGorilla - scorchio!

    PurpleGorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Unless it's run be people who want to create a stick to beat the PM with.....
    The stick is ready and waiting, it was made to beat Tony Blair with, but is still pristine and immaculate.

  6. #16

    Still gathering requirements...

    grabri is a permanent contractor

    grabri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    From the 20/4/2016..........................I know you are a bit slow but do at least try and keep within a calendar year of the rest of us!
    I think that cuts initiated 1 year ago are highly significant to the operational effectiveness of the border force now - why would you think otherwise?

  7. #17

    Suffers Fools...Badly!

    shaunbhoy is always on top

    shaunbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    29,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grabri View Post
    I think that cuts initiated 1 year ago are highly significant to the operational effectiveness of the border force now - why would you think otherwise?
    A £2M cut probably means that they no longer get free coffee/tea on shift.
    It is a drop in the ocean as regards their total budget.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

  8. #18

    Still gathering requirements...

    grabri is a permanent contractor

    grabri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    A £2M cut probably means that they no longer get free coffee/tea on shift.
    It is a drop in the ocean as regards their total budget.
    I agree that highly significant is probably over-egging it, but you were dismissing it as irrelevant...and once the tea & coffee goes there goes the morale....

    But a 0.4% decrease in the year, when in actual fact they were calling out for an increase in the wake of the attacks in Brussels and Paris surely is indicative of how seriously May has listened to our police and security forces... and to stand up now and echo their 'enough is enough' slogan must really piss them off.

  9. #19

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    16,731
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

  10. #20

    Still gathering requirements...

    grabri is a permanent contractor

    grabri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Thanks, very interesting exchange from ~10:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •