• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Raising the voting age for the snowflake generation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The bar would be set pretty low. It wouldn't be anything like the property and income qualifications of past times.

So a part time minimum wage earner would be as eligible to vote as a cigar chomping capitalist fat cat with a country estate.
    The above minimum wage earners would use their control of parliament to exclude the minimum wage earners.

Comment

As people seem to be living longer there are increasingly senile older people. Why not an upper age limit? Or how about a test before you can vote?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        As people seem to be living longer there are increasingly senile older people. Why not an upper age limit? Or how about a test before you can vote?
        I would like to see aggressive tax avoiders have their voting rights retrospectively removed so they can then be charged with historic electoral fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          I would like to see aggressive tax avoiders have their voting rights retrospectively removed so they can then be charged with historic electoral fraud.
          Tax avoidance, aggressive or otherwise, is NOT ILLEGAL.

Nor is it immoral, unlike one of the favourite tricks of totalitarian regimes of deliberately blurring linguistic distinctions!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Tax avoidance, aggressive or otherwise, is NOT ILLEGAL.

Nor is it immoral, unlike one of the favourite tricks of totalitarian regimes of deliberately blurring linguistic distinctions!
            It is if it is retrospectively criminalised.

Comment

Raising the voting age for the snowflake generation

Anyone not a net contributor over their life should not be in a position to vote
              By "net contributor" do you mean that if daddy had millions which got passed on to you, they don't count as your millions, you actually have to have worked, earned money of your own accord, and not relied on handouts from the wealthy/your parents (or your divorce)?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                Since the younger generations seem to increasingly be maturing at a much later age (if at all) than previously, should the voting age be raised to 21 (or later) to save us from the easily led and feckless?

Discuss...
                Someone's getting old.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The voting age should be the same as the army recruitment age. If you can sign up to fight for your country, you should have the right to vote for who might send you into battle.

...the bit that I would struggle to see defined is the upper age for voting. Is it retirement, or when/if you lose your driving license, or maybe when you are not declared mentally fit to vote.
                  (My mother in law has dementia, she is rarely lucid but still has a right to vote. She doesn't know who we are or where she is. Her family have power of attorney over her affairs. You might be able to get the balance of drugs right that she would see the ballot paper, she might be able to make a mark on it, but she wouldn't know what she was doing or why she was doing it. She might ask why Churchill's name wasn't on the ballot as most of her memories relate to the war)
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I think the test is "can you find where to vote"

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                    Vote should only be allowed for people with higher education that understand core concepts of economics etc. Probably an exam that eligible you to vote would be nice too.
                    So you fail.

I'd also introduce a net lifetime tax/benefit floor on eligibility to vote. Anyone not a net contributor over their life should not be in a position to vote themselves more state largesse literally at the expense of others!
                    Tory voters pay the bulk of the tax, so they should get the bulk of the votes and we should have a 1-party Toryitarian state.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      The voting age should be the same as the army recruitment age. If you can sign up to fight for your country, you should have the right to vote for who might send you into battle.
                      But isn't that 18? Or at least 18 before you might do any actual fighting.

Perhaps it should be as soon as you first pay tax. But I guess in theory a baby could earn money and pay tax.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X