• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Raising the voting age for the snowflake generation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    But isn't that 18? Or at least 18 before you might do any actual fighting.

Perhaps it should be as soon as you first pay tax. But I guess in theory a baby could earn money and pay tax.
    IIRC it is policy not to send children to the front-line if possible, but it does occasionally happen for 'operational reasons'. That may have changed - would be interested if anyone knows.

Comment

But isn't that 18? Or at least 18 before you might do any actual fighting.

Perhaps it should be as soon as you first pay tax. But I guess in theory a baby could earn money and pay tax.
      18 on your own, or 16 with parental consent. It certainly shouldn't be raised any higher.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
        I didn't mention anything about caps... an 80 year old with Alzheimers has probably still got more insight than most of the snowflakes
        Dats true. There was a post above mine about a cap at 50 but it's been deleted.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You just imagined you posted it, you senile old fool.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Originally posted by northerladyuk
            You just imagined you posted it, you senile old fool.
            Would you like the rest of us to leave you two alone?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Would you like the rest of us to leave you two alone?
              With an axe.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                A suggestion like that might seem a bit reactionary to some, or even tongue in cheek, but if young people can't legally even buy alcohol or tobacco until they are eighteen then how the effing hell can anyone justly claim they are responsible enough to vote before that age?

I'd also introduce a net lifetime tax/benefit floor on eligibility to vote. Anyone not a net contributor over their life should not be in a position to vote themselves more state largesse literally at the expense of others!

Thats a slippery slope.

"So a part time minimum wage earner would be as eligible to vote as a cigar chomping capitalist fat cat with a country estate"

What about someone unable to work through say... disability?

I know in reality you would have caveats in your policy to allow for this... but if you introduce any bars to voting fewer people will vote.
                Last edited by Snarf; 8 June 2017, 11:11.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                  Vote should only be allowed for people with higher education that understand core concepts of economics etc. Probably an exam that eligible you to vote would be nice too.
                  Sounds as if you require some higher-level history education. Votes are for everyone, given those are what comprise the country. To limit otherwise is disingenuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                    Since the younger generations seem to increasingly be maturing at a much later age (if at all) than previously, should the voting age be raised to 21 (or later) to save us from the easily led and feckless?

Discuss...

Older people dislike admitting it, but the younger generations are exposed to more adult matters within society at an ever younger age. They know more (on average) than your age group did at the same age (on average).

Sorry to burst your bubble. <queue moaning about lack of education standards these days and such else...>

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
                      Older people dislike admitting it, but the younger generations are exposed to more adult matters within society at an ever younger age. They know more (on average) than your age group did at the same age (on average).

Sorry to burst your bubble. <queue moaning about lack of education standards these days and such else...>
                      Not bursting my bubble at all... younger people may well be "exposed" to a lot more these days.. i can see that.. all that "quality" information on social media must certainly broaden their horizons.

And then there's Justin Bieber... a fine example of modern youth.
                      Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                      X