• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it time to move abroad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    None except for an unfulfilled dream. I feel it will be relaxing me greatly.
    OK, so no sailing experience, no qualification, doing a 5 day course to get your ICC and you think it's going to be relaxing.

You might be better doing a couple of short courses with the RYA first of all to see what it's like.
    The ICC qualification is a fairly basic one, I can't remember if they throw it in with competent crew or just in a box of Wheatabix, but at least it will let you see what 5 days at sea feels like.

Before you do it, learn your knots. Most important are probably the bowline, half hitch and clove hitch.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
      God no. Australian migration is so 1990s.

I'm semi-retired in the med. And today it is bl00dy boiling.
      Looks like a lot of fun

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

So which area do you recommend in AUS? Business/ beaches/ contracting and weather (so melbourne doesnt tick the last requirement)
        That's a very subjective question. Have you been to Australia? If I was you, I would go on a long holiday and try different places, talk to people, check prices, do job interviews, see for yourself. Then go home and make a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Looks like a lot of fun

Did you take that outside Bora Bora at 8am?

Comment

That's a very subjective question. Have you been to Australia? If I was you, I would go on a long holiday and try different places, talk to people, check prices, do job interviews, see for yourself. Then go home and make a decision.
            First need to get PR Visa. It's a tough one. My gf needs divorce first,I need to pass english test and prove all contracting and permament experience (and that's quite a bit of companies in 2 countries to call now).. I reckon the earlest I'll get the visa will be late next year. Not to mention 7 vet visits to check up my cat....

Comment

+1

I was in Oz (Melbourne) earlier this year and although we liked it we found it to be very expensive (food and eating out especially - and this is coming from a Londoner & adopted New Yorker). Driving down the great ocean road was fantastic and I would come back for a holiday (I have been once before many years ago so knew what to expect). However to live and work there would be a big sacrifice (housing is comparatively expensive near any major Oz city as mentioned by another poster) and I would rather keep hopping over the pond and be a much shorter (and cheaper) flight to either of my bases.

Comment

First need to get PR Visa. It's a tough one. My gf needs divorce first,I need to pass english test and prove all contracting and permament experience (and that's quite a bit of companies in 2 countries to call now).. I reckon the earlest I'll get the visa will be late next year. Not to mention 7 vet visits to check up my cat....
                Get on it, you're not getting any younger and these things take time. 7 vet visits? You da main playa!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  The last bit very important - they (Tory Scum) planned tax assault again, at least now it will be more difficult - I hope party sacks her for wrong focus on hardcore Labour where as they needed to focus on core vote plus get young - Lib Dems were useful in that, screwing them over fooked Tory too
                  And DUP are insisting on lower Corp Tax for NI to compete with their cheaper neighbours
                  Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
                    And DUP are insisting on lower Corp Tax for NI to compete with their cheaper neighbours
                    That's already been agreed a while ago - NI is getting 12.5% corp tax!

Comment

Working...
                    X