• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"I can still be Prime Minister. This is still on. Absolutely"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All other potential Tory leader candidates less popular than May

They may have to look to Nigel Farage, a true Bexiteer.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      It isn't the Hard Brexiteers who will bring down the government it will be the "Remoaners", in particular Ruth Davis and her 13 Conservative MPs, they're almost a separate party now doing their own thing and have nothing to fear from UKIP.

Hard Brexit would then only be possible if the Tories then subsequently got a stonking gr8 majority that would mean the Scottish Conservatives are irrelevant. Is that likely?

I would say, probably not as young people now have learnt to go out and vote. A second election will probably return a minority Labour government propped up by the SNP and Lib-Dems, and you know what that means.

Again, you're missing the point. The default position is now "out", with the only variable being the date of departure, based on a formal request being made to, and unanimously accepted by, the EU27 for a one year delay. In that context, any failure within Parliament to reach an agreed position will result in a chaotic exit. For an EEA-style arrangement to make it through Parliament, the gov't would need to fail (because backbenchers will definitely not accept that, as we've heard from Raab and others today) and a party would need to stand on that manifesto (i.e. free movement) and receive a stonking majority. I would say that, given old people have always know how to vote, the Lib Dem strategy isn't likely to win a majority any time soon. A car crash is now the default outcome unless, in 6-12 months, Labour has lost "momentum" (quite likely, as Korbyn is terrible in Parliament) and the Tories are sufficiently confident to boot Maybot and choose a Brexit-supporting leader who drops the austerity narrative and focuses a little more on younger voters. But it will need to be in 6-12 months, because the Tories would lose an election right now (as in, another Hung Parliament), even with a change in narrative. In 6-12 months, it's still highly doubtful, because voters hate a divided party, and I don't see the Tories remaining as one. At the same time, the arithmetic of FPP makes it's incredibly difficult for Labour to win an outright majority. Basically, we've entered a protracted car crash.

Comment

"Home Secretary Amber Rudd would attract just 13 per cent and revile 26 per cent, while Philip Hammond attracts 15 per cent of voters and repulses 23 per cent."

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Again, you're missing the point. The default position is now "out", with the only variable being the date of departure, based on a formal request being made to, and unanimously accepted by, the EU27 for a one year delay. In that context, any failure within Parliament to reach an agreed position will result in a chaotic exit. For an EEA-style arrangement to make it through Parliament, the gov't would need to fail (because backbenchers will definitely not accept that, as we've heard from Raab and others today) and a party would need to stand on that manifesto (i.e. free movement) and receive a stonking majority. I would say that, given old people have always know how to vote, the Lib Dem strategy isn't likely to win a majority any time soon. A car crash is now the default outcome unless, in 6-12 months, Labour has lost "momentum" (quite likely, as Korbyn is terrible in Parliament) and the Tories are sufficiently confident to boot Maybot and choose a Brexit-supporting leader who drops the austerity narrative and focuses a little more on younger voters. But it will need to be in 6-12 months, because the Tories would lose an election right now (as in, another Hung Parliament), even with a change in narrative. In 6-12 months, it's still highly doubtful, because voters hate a divided party, and I don't see the Tories remaining as one. At the same time, the arithmetic of FPP makes it's incredibly difficult for Labour to win an outright majority. Basically, we've entered a protracted car crash.
          What's your projection for Sterling then?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            "Home Secretary Amber Rudd would attract just 13 per cent and revile 26 per cent, while Philip Hammond attracts 15 per cent of voters and repulses 23 per cent."

Post-election polling can be dismissed more than regular polling. If you look at post election polls, historically, they always swing to the actual outcome (confirmation bias). They're basically useless as a projection of future sentiment.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              At the next GE, all the Tories need to do is to offer every 18-year-old school leaver, a one-off no strings attached payment of £10k tax free.
              And because the Tories are true to their word without u-turns there'll be no reason to doubt any of their promises.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Again, you're missing the point. The default position is now "out", .
                If there is no progress in the negotiations and the government refuses to budge, the Labour party will simply bring a vote of no confidence in the government and the pro-European Conservatives will abstain.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  What's your projection for Sterling then?
                  If I had one, you'd probably do well to assume the opposite, based on my recent record

It has been surprisingly resilient; 1.2 on Cable is a line in the sand now, and it would need to be chaos to cross this (an assumed hard Brexit wasn't enough). It's probably range-bound, 1.25-1.3, until things become clearer. The markets will likely perceive an increased chance of both a soft Brexit and a car-crash. It will swing in the wind depending on the chaos of the day. If Maybot is having a hard day, Cable will too. Other than that, it also depends on the Fed next week (probably rise, but they may bottle it). Eurodollar looks like a pretty decent bet in the short/medium term (long-term, not so much ).

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    If there is no progress in the negotiations and the government refuses to budge, the Labour party will simply bring a vote of no confidence in the government and the pro-European Conservatives will abstain.

Right, and what happens next? Korbyn doesn't have the numbers for a progressive alliance. Another GE.

Comment

Right, and what happens next? Korbyn doesn't have the numbers for a progressive alliance. Another GE.

Yes of course it would mean he would spend a short time as PM to organise a GE as happened in the 1970's.

It is in any case highly likely there will be a GE in the next 12 months, regardless of whether a confidence motion will be proposed.

This will be repeated until there is a government with a firm majority or a formal coalition.
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 June 2017, 18:47.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X