• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've quite literally ran out of pi$$

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I know you're a bit thick and don't understand English properly, so it's no surprise that you've got the wrong end of the stick.

What I said is that counting students as immigrants is misleading and wrong, since the vast majority go back.

"Fake" students is another issue entirely.
    Unfortunately reality and ONS figures seem to make your assertion look like a crock of tulipe as usual.

This explains it quite well of course as we use the IPS to try to estimate migration has a lot of holes but it seems a lot stay behind.

Hard Evidence: how many foreign students stay in the UK?

The IPS suggests that 135,000 non-EU students entered the UK for study in 2014. The number of people who had previously arrived as students and who are estimated to have emigrated from the UK in 2014 was 44,000.

Taken together, this suggests that in 2014, net migration of students according to the IPS was 91,000 – that is, 91,000 more new students arrived than former students left. This snapshot must be interpreted carefully, because the people arriving and leaving are part of different cohorts. We do not yet know how many of the 2014 student cohort will leave, as many are not expected to do so for a few years.
    They may be fake or real but if they stay here which a significant number apparently do then they are part of the migration figures. If they go home they are subtracted from the net figure.

Not sure why you find that hard to understand!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      John Major makes an excellent point regarding the peace process remains fragile. If a Westminster party attempts to shore up a minority government when they are to be impartial to northern Ireland parties... one could imagine the peace process unravelling. If there's any hint of this a 2nd GE must be held. A position whereby a Westminster party sacrifices trouble in NI reigniting for a power grab in their own party - how much damage will they be allowed to cause?
      Agreeing with scooterscot is like one of those dreams when you're walking down a crowded street and suddenly realise you aren't wearing any clothes, but that said ..

I think the Northern Ireland Agreement actually contains a clause to the effect that the Westminster Government must show no favouritism towards any Northern Ireland party, and it is hard to see how an agreement with the DUP is in keeping with that.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Agreeing with scooterscot is like one of those dreams when you're walking down a crowded street and suddenly realise you aren't wearing any clothes, but that said ..

I think the Northern Ireland Agreement actually contains a clause to the effect that the Westminster Government must show no favouritism towards any Northern Ireland party, and it is hard to see how an agreement with the DUP is in keeping with that.
        I hope you haven't toned that dream down just for us
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Unfortunately reality and ONS figures seem to make your assertion look like a crock of tulipe as usual.

This explains it quite well of course as we use the IPS to try to estimate migration has a lot of holes but it seems a lot stay behind.

Hard Evidence: how many foreign students stay in the UK?

They may be fake or real but if they stay here which a significant number apparently do then they are part of the migration figures. If they go home they are subtracted from the net figure.

Not sure why you find that hard to understand!
          Feck me, you're "confused" as usual. Hope your teachers got a knighthood.

From your own link:

"Students who arrive or leave the UK for more than 12 months are counted as migrants in official net migration statistics in the same way as those who come and go for other reasons. Unsurprisingly, there has been significant opposition to students being included in the migration target from universities, further education institutions and public figures."

Which is stupid since most degree courses are at least 3 years and you won't know if they are really migrants till they finish.

Hence:

" Unsurprisingly, there has been significant opposition to students being included in the migration target from universities, further education institutions and public figures"

Not sure why you find that hard to understand

Dunno why I bother really.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Yes, Brexit really is the gift that keeps on giving.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Dunno why I bother really.
              neither do I

If you read the bit I quoted & linked to they looked at how many students arrived in a year and how many left in year. They clearly pointed out they weren't the same students or from the same cohort .

lets try again

The IPS suggests that 135,000 non-EU students entered the UK for study in 2014. The number of people who had previously arrived as students and who are estimated to have emigrated from the UK in 2014 was 44,000.
              so 135,000 entered and 44,000 left in absolute terms. that leaves 91,000 more people in the UK due to student visas. They may go home later but that year the population grew by 91,000 more people than were in the UK on Jan 1st i.e. we have net positive immigration.
              When more students go home in a year than arrive then the net immigration will be negative.

Go back to chewing your crayons.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X