• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halifax Clarity card - £500 limit - whats the point?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Aye. Have checked. credit is v good indeed.
    Relative to your postcode average rating.

Comment

Not unheard of. I've been swapping credit cards for years and it is surprising how one will give you less than 1k limit and the next 6k upwards for no obvious reason. Just the risk profiling of each provider I guess.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Aye. Have checked. credit is v good indeed.
        These days, many cards = higher risk = lower credit limits.

Back in the day, many cards = low risk = higher credit limits

Comment

If you use the card they will raise your credit limit.

However they know most people get the card for overseas spending only so deliberately protect themselves from fraud by giving everyone a very low limit.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sounds like it's the start of a worrying trend.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              If you use the card they will raise your credit limit.

However they know most people get the card for overseas spending only so deliberately protect themselves from fraud by giving everyone a very low limit.
              Yeh maybe thats it. But £500 is pointless. Mrs P can spend that in an hour in Florida!
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Yeh maybe thats it. But £500 is pointless. Mrs P can spend that in an hour in Florida!

And you allow that

Still, not all your money I guess
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Could even break that limit claiming benefits.

Thought it'd be nice to have - for foreign spending. Currently got a santander one but this one is a bit better.

So I go on online chat, yes should be ok. I apply - congrats you're accepted. Credit limit £500! So I go back on chat and point out its useless for me - can ask for an increase in 6 months. Waste of my time.

Seems people like Halifax are not going to win much business from others if they give out these sort of limits. Appreciate banks are mega cautious these days, but its not going to much of a risk for them to give me £5K limit (which would be ok for me). When I've got about 80K limits on other cards. Don;t see to see the big picture - obviously now I'm going to tell them to stuff the card and stick with my amex (that I spend about £30K a year on).
                  So you've got a high credit exposure and you want more credit, it's no wonder they haven't given you a higher limit.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    And you allow that

Still, not all your money I guess
                    MM - are you married then?

If so, dont tell me you're one of those with separate bank accounts?
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

MM - are you married then?

If so, dont tell me you're one of those with separate bank accounts?
                      Different strokes for different folks.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X