• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

John Major warns on the peace process

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Conflict of interest surely - UK Govt is supposed to be honest arbiter between two parties, but now it will totally depend on one of those parties.

Rookie error really - May should have gone to BOTH Sinn Fein and DUP to get deal, in which both parties get what they want for NI, and Sinn Fein get no obligation to vote whilst not minding if DUP supported May.
    May personally spoke to all five main parties in NI.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Not only that, if a power sharing agreement isn't worked out fast (end of the month). Then it is direct rule from Westminster. And direct rule means Tory-DUP government in charge.

This is extremely worrying. TM's lust for power at all costs is frightening.
      You'll find that Sinn Fein will purely play this for their own means. There aren't people in NI up-in-arms about this.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The IRA where better at causing disruption. They also preferred to target the UK government, armed forces and police over members of the public with their bombs.
        Thats not really true. The NI troubles have claimed very many civilian lives over their time.

They destroyed buildings in the city and docklands and also murdered a bunch of innocent people outside Harrods and again in Birmingham... They were admittedly a little more focused than the current bunch of bastards but thats hardly difficult...

The only reason the IRA stopped was that our friends the Americans finally understood what terrorism was when some maniac levelled two of their buildings in one go on prime time TV. Up until that point they were more than happy to let the IRA tin get passed around for contributions to buy Libyan arms...

Incidentally 9/11 killed almost exactly the same number of innocent people as the entire NI conflict in the previous 20 years...

The most sensible answer from what I can see of the maths is for the DUP to follow SF's lead and stop taking their seat in the UK parliament. That way there would not be enough seats for the opposition to form a government and an effective majority would be in place.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          Thats not really true. The NI troubles have claimed very many civilian lives over their time.
          I spent many years of my life having to use alternative public transport or walking in London because the IRA had sent out a coded bomb warning but I guess that doesn't count as disruption.

In addition some helpful people have collateral statistics of the number of dead on the mainland and what roles they were in. The number of dead and roles in NI is obviously different.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I spent many years of my life having to use alternative public transport or walking in London because the IRA had sent out a coded bomb warning but I guess that doesn't count as disruption.

In addition some helpful people have collateral statistics of the number of dead on the mainland and what roles they were in. The number of dead and roles in NI is obviously different.
            So why don't we include people in NI as well. They are also people.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              You'll find that Sinn Fein will purely play this for their own means. There aren't people in NI up-in-arms about this.
              Be nice if they actually took their seats in Parliament instead of sulking too.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Be nice if they actually took their seats in Parliament instead of sulking too.
                It's not really sulking, is it? Having stood on a mandate of not taking their seats, they're not going to then take their seats.

Which I kind of get, but it is all a bit odd. I wonder if SDLP will do better at the next GE, after people see a close result where SF abstentionism is arguably a factor in the ability of the Tories to form a government.

I don't really understand NI politics - what do you think, Equalizer?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  It's not really sulking, is it? Having stood on a mandate of not taking their seats, they're not going to then take their seats.

Which I kind of get, but it is all a bit odd. I wonder if SDLP will do better at the next GE, after people see a close result where SF abstentionism is arguably a factor in the ability of the Tories to form a government.

I don't really understand NI politics - what do you think, Equalizer?
                  Serious question now.

Do they vote on issues in commons but just do not attend - or do they simple play no part?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Serious question now.

Do they vote on issues in commons but just do not attend - or do they simple play no part?
                    They don't take their seats at all. They are never sworn in as MPs.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      So why don't we include people in NI as well. They are also people.
                      Because the amount of tulip they have had from all sides is not countable as it includes the disappeared.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X