• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tim Ferriss slow carb diet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    WSES. You want to lose fat and not muscle (I'm assuming) so you have to trick the body into burning fat by maintaining muscle through lifting not to build but maintain (more reps of lighter weights). Otherwise your body will consume muscle before fat when you go into calorie deficit. Same if you do just cardio.

I know this first hand after years of doing it wrong. You don't have to venture into the free weights area of the gym if you don't want to, there are combined (cardio and weights) exercises using kettlebells/Vipre or pushing massive tyres around the gym or smashing ropes into the ground if you like. I personally like lifting + swimming and martial arts. A personal trainer would most likely get you using kettlebells, rope smashing and tyre schlepping as it does both most effectively for time spent. I had one for a couple of years and it was mostly kettlebells and burpees then on to free weights.

It's good to mix it up.
    Can you build muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Or is it about maintaining muscle mass whilst losing fat?

Certainly the whole process of stressing muscles and allowing them to repair and refill their glucogen will help 'burn energy'.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

WSES. You want to lose fat and not muscle (I'm assuming) so you have to trick the body into burning fat by maintaining muscle through lifting not to build but maintain (more reps of lighter weights). Otherwise your body will consume muscle before fat when you go into calorie deficit. Same if you do just cardio.

I know this first hand after years of doing it wrong. You don't have to venture into the free weights area of the gym if you don't want to, there are combined (cardio and weights) exercises using kettlebells/Vipre or pushing massive tyres around the gym or smashing ropes into the ground if you like. I personally like lifting + swimming and martial arts. A personal trainer would most likely get you using kettlebells, rope smashing and tyre schlepping as it does both most effectively for time spent. I had one for a couple of years and it was mostly kettlebells and burpees then on to free weights.

It's good to mix it up.
      But won't you end up with a tiny waste, massive arms and shoulders and a tiny little face?

The fat loss is going to be all over the body. And the muscle gain in the exercised areas.

You would look odd, unless you have a wide face.

I've seen these guys around the gym. Fat neck pea head.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        Personally, I think the fun factor of being able to put on a pair of trainers and run up some hills (or through fields of wheat if you prefer)far outweighs pumping iron with a bunch of narcissistic sweaty men about.

Which is why I don't support football. Only Women's beach volleyball. I just wish I could join in their training sessions....

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

Certainly the whole process of stressing muscles and allowing them to repair and refill their glucogen will help 'burn energy'.
          I have heard it said that in the gym if you do a 3 hour workout the first 2 hours 45 minutes are wasted. Muscles work best on a 15 minute workout.

I wish I could carb load every day. Shame my knees are not up to it....

Comment

You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time but it is difficult. Bodybuilders generally use cycles of gaining weight and cutting weight which last for a few months.

The best form of exercises is the form you will stick with. If you enjoy doing weights then do weights, if you enjoy running then go running. If yu have specific goals then you will need to customise your training to meet them but other than that they all have their pros and cons.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

From what I've learnt there are 2 'modes' building and cutting. AFAIK building requires eating more to feed the muscle growth while cutting maintains lean body mass while lowering fat%. I've thought about building while in a calorie deficit which is not covered anywhere even though it sounds like the most efficient way to burn fat. Interesting articles on it here:

Death to the Bulk and Cut Diet | Muscle & Fitness

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat...gain_trick.htm

I'll be doing this when I come back from my holiday in the US as I will most probably need it
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time but it is difficult. Bodybuilders generally use cycles of gaining weight and cutting weight which last for a few months.

The best form of exercises is the form you will stick with. If you enjoy doing weights then do weights, if you enjoy running then go running. If yu have specific goals then you will need to customise your training to meet them but other than that they all have their pros and cons.
                How can a man lose a beer belly but not lose weight off the face?

This is not possible as far as I know.

Once you are over 25...you have to accept the beer belly, or you will become haggered looking with a six pack trying to keep it totally flat.

Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                  But won't you end up with a tiny waste, massive arms and shoulders and a tiny little face?

The fat loss is going to be all over the body. And the muscle gain in the exercised areas.

You would look odd, unless you have a wide face.

I've seen these guys around the gym. Fat neck pea head.
                  I'm not doing it to be a hardcore massive bodybuilder - I just want the best bang for my buck/time in the gym to get into decent shape while I'm still young enough. I'm just using the technique/methods to burn as much fat as possible. If I'm going to put myself through the whole diet/exercise thing I want good ROI! Otherwise I might as well go back to gaming and biscuits...
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time but it is difficult.
                    I'm doing this currently and I wouldn't say it's too hard. I'm doing a strength training programme and watching my diet quite carefully, early days but noticeable results so far. Plenty of protein and low carbs. I've basically just cut out bread, spuds, rice and pasta and eating more veggies.

Like the other poster, I don't want to end up looking like a body builder, just want to do the most efficient workout to lose weight and gain strength and that's heavy lifting, with a barbell. So barbell squats, deadlifts, bench press etc. 3 times a week is enough, and don't train on consecutive days. I also walk as much as possible (e.g a mile round trip to the supermarket for my lunch) and will do a bit of a walk/light job on the treadmill on the days between lifting.

Comment

I'm not doing it to be a hardcore massive bodybuilder - I just want the best bang for my buck/time in the gym to get into decent shape while I'm still young enough. I'm just using the technique/methods to burn as much fat as possible. If I'm going to put myself through the whole diet/exercise thing I want good ROI! Otherwise I might as well go back to gaming and biscuits...
                      I get it. You want to look good now you are reaching your prime. Nothing wrong with that. You've done the hard yards, now it's all gravy.

But if you're not careful your routine will age your face rapidly, leaving you looking like a 60 year old body builder.

What skin products do you use? Shaseido?

Comment

Working...
                      X