• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The future for oil?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    What about those of us who live in town and have to park on the street? How are we expected to charge overnight? Your solution is perfect for anyone who lives in a suburban close with their own driveway or garage, and not very good at all for everyone else.
    Turn every parking space into a wireless QI charging pad?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      You wait a few years and it won't be necessary. Haven seen the current state of the art last week self driving cars are not that long away (easily within the life time of my next car).
      So does it just drive off to the charging point in the evening and come and collect you in the morning?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Tesla (according to their marketing - does anyone know better?) will give you a 170 miles from a 30 minute supercharge. If I'm driving more than 2 hours, I stop for a cup of coffee anyway, so it's closing in on workable.
        There would need to be hundreds of those supercharge points at all motorway service stations, and at peak times like Christmas there would still be queues. Currently we grumble if there's a 15 minute wait at a petrol station, can you imagine telling the kids they've got to sit and wait for 2-3 hours because Daddy bought an electric car?
        You'd be divorced or lynched. Quite possibly both.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

There would need to be hundreds of those supercharge points at all motorway service stations, and at peak times like Christmas there would still be queues. Currently we grumble if there's a 15 minute wait at a petrol station, can you imagine telling the kids they've got to sit and wait for 2-3 hours because Daddy bought an electric car?
          You'd be divorced or lynched. Quite possibly both.
          Supply will meet demand. You remind me of:

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            Turn every parking space into a wireless QI charging pad?
            Best not to piss on it ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Best not to piss on it ...
              Suity will have to stick to his tricycle (hopefully not literally).

Comment

I agree, 30 minutes charging is way too long, can you imagine Bank holidays !! and lets face it, in reality it it will probably take more like an hour to recharge, Most Electric cars currently require several hours to recharge, and if your car is full of luggage and people it's range will be down by a third I dare say.

Electric cars are fine for relatively wealthy people that use it as a second car for running around town, and can afford a recharging point in their garage.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 15 June 2017, 16:07.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  I agree, 30 minutes charging is way too long, can you imagine Bank holidays !! and lets face it, in reality it it will probably take more like an hour to recharge,
                  If only technology improved.

Comment

If it's 30 mins for 600 miles range then it's another matter...

Comment

What about those of us who live in town and have to park on the street? How are we expected to charge overnight? Your solution is perfect for anyone who lives in a suburban close with their own driveway or garage, and not very good at all for everyone else.
                      You're not expected to have a car.
                      The future doesn't lie with people having their own cars but you calling one and it self driving to your house then to wherever you want to go.
                      TaaS like the report says...like CityCar or ZipCar or whatever they're called but times a gazillion.
                      There'll be a lot of resistance but tbh I think it makes a lot of sense across the board.

Comment

Working...
                      X