• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has the welfare system distorted our economy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    taxi drivers
    Well, except the bloke whose fridge caused the fire.

Comment

You are mad if you think the traditional working classes live in blocks like this to be near workplaces that need low paid workers. I can tell you from recent personal experience that they are full of non-English speaking migrants that don't work (because they can't speak English), a few very old aged white British pensionsers who've been there since the blocks were considered posh, Eastern Europeans renting one flat between 10 people from "right to buy" landlords, illegal immigrants, students, a few young "city" workers slumming it to keep costs down and a very small minority of the traditional working class that left school low skilled and stayed in the area they grew up in.

None of these groups work as dustbin lorry drivers, cleaners, taxi drivers, etc. Those people don't live in Central London anymore. Very few anyway.

Big up DJ Isla. RIP the 100s of poor souls who have died here. These blocks should all be razed to the ground.
      So you're one of these apparently lazy feckless good for nothing foreigners then...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

So you want to introduce even more taxes on businesses?
        Eh?? I said business rates would go DOWN to cover the increased wage cost.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          So you're one of these apparently lazy feckless good for nothing foreigners then...
          I've had some dealings with you before, haven't I?

As far as your concerned I am indigenous British. I was born and bred there. I lived in one of these London tower blocks for more than 5 years when I was young.

What's your problem? Are you a racist?

Comment

outside looks yuppified.

low cost housing

2 bedroom flat to rent in Grenfell Tower, London, W11, W11

Comment

I suppose one could say it would cost as much however one does it. That, if the council did not provide social housing, we would be paying just as much for the profits of landlords and private housing companies. Being cynical is close to grasping reality at times.

However, with proper controls, maybe not. The best form of government in my view is not one that tries to do everything itself or the opposite of a totally free market economy that lets the rich and the big companies do what they like but a free market economy with strict regulation - on competition, excess profits etc.

The problem with government is that it is always the biggest and most powerful organisation going and too much power and control breeds corruption. Not quite in the third world dictator sense but there is no doubt that many do act in their own interests. Public sector workers, for example, generally have more security, are better paid and have better pensions that many in the private sector and this is all supported by those "leftist" big public sector unions.

Then there is that well meaning form of corruption where an ideal is pursued regardless of effectiveness. When an organisation is under central control and all powerful there is little that can be done to make it change direction if things are not working out. If Corbyn gets in it will be a nightmare. The public sector will be ever expanding as he renationalises or nationalises major sectors and it will be run according to his dictat. He may be a nice, well meaning chap but decades have shown there is nothing that will ever make him change his mind about how society should work. If it is not working out he will just stick to the same core policies. He admires Chavez and look what he did to Venezuela.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 18 June 2017, 17:18.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post
                outside looks yuppified.

low cost housing

2 bedroom flat to rent in Grenfell Tower, London, W11, W11
                Does it come with a,fire,extinguisher?
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

What's your problem? Are you a racist?
                  Nope but it's bloody obvious by your posts that you are and like most racists, not very intelligent either...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Nope but it's bloody obvious by your posts that you are and like most racists, not very intelligent either...
                    OK, I don't want to get into a daft argument and derail the thread. Suffice to say, I am not racist. I don't want to go into details but I can't be a racist.

I'll double check my posts in future, just in case. Thanks for the heads up even though I realise you were lashing out.

Have a great, peaceful weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Eh?? I said business rates would go DOWN to cover the increased wage cost.
                      If business rates go down ( ) then who will be picking up the bill for loss of "revenue" to local councils?

Comment

Working...
                      X