• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minutes silence etiquette.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They probably didn't realise their typing and mouse clicking was so loud.

I was at a self-service till in a local supermarket for the last one - which was last week? - anyway two of the shop assistants had to be told to shut up and the till operators had to be told not scan things due to the beep.
    #unexpectediteminthebaggingarea #fail
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Don't worry I hadn't started scanning.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        The old man had a client over the weekend who was tweeting a complaint for a full refund.

#unexpecteditemintheteabaggingarea

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          There are too many silences.

The only time I'm actually silent AND still is on 11th November.
          Agreed. Seems we've gone a little overboard now on social grieving.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            No. I'm completely with you. Anyone who can't spare a single poxy minute to show respect for a large but as yet unknown number of men, women and children who died in truly awful and horrific circumstances, has their sense of priorities all wrong.
            Or it's virtue signalling at its worst.

Yes it's sad, but in a way it's disrespectful to pretend that a minute's silence in any way makes up for what happened. And as much as this was a terrible single event, people die all the time, many in a fire in Portugal yesterday. So who is deciding which people are worthy of a minute's silence and which people aren't?

Plus they're always a bit painfully awkward. Sometimes in football or whatever they do a minute's applause for someone who's died, and I think that is a much better idea; both practically and in terms of what it's trying to achieve.

But each to their own. If someone was wanting to observe the silence I wouldn't go and start talking to them or whatever, but equally you shouldn't complain about other people not choosing to take part. In fact I'd bet the majority don't.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              It's hardly the worst virtue signalling in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                I suppose it's not as bad as politicians lining up to say "Our thoughts and prayers are with those involved".
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Yes it's sad, but in a way it's disrespectful to pretend that a minute's silence in any way makes up for what happened. And as much as this was a terrible single event, people die all the time, many in a fire in Portugal yesterday. So who is deciding which people are worthy of a minute's silence and which people aren't?

Plus they're always a bit painfully awkward. Sometimes in football or whatever they do a minute's applause for someone who's died, and I think that is a much better idea; both practically and in terms of what it's trying to achieve.

But each to their own. If someone was wanting to observe the silence I wouldn't go and start talking to them or whatever, but equally you shouldn't complain about other people not choosing to take part. In fact I'd bet the majority don't.
                  The louder the victims shout the more will happen.

A minutes silence
                  Update your Facebook profile
                  Say a prayer at your local place of worship.

All are relevant things to do but none will actually make a difference or bring back the dead.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Exactly, I often say the same when I'm helping out with the homeless, disabled, non-binary veterans at the local Charity shop that I part fund with my expenses from contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      Exactly, I often say the same when I'm helping out with the homeless, disabled, non-binary veterans at the local Charity shop that I part fund with my expenses from contracting.
                      I'm organising a minute's silence where contractors who work via Ltd's and Brollies silently point their fingers at aggressive tax avoiding colleagues to show who is to blame for cheap flammable cladding on public housing.

Comment

Working...
                      X