• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minutes silence etiquette.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    The louder the victims shout the more will happen.

A minutes silence
    Update your Facebook profile
    Say a prayer at your local place of worship.

All are relevant things to do but none will actually make a difference or bring back the dead.
    Nothing can bring back the dead. But what action can people take to stop a similar event happening?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Nothing can bring back the dead. But what action can people take to stop a similar event happening?
      A riot? Though it should happen in Kensington and Chelsea so so the councillors realise that saving £5K on cladding of a tower block is a false economy.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        A riot? Though it should happen in Kensington and Chelsea so so the councillors realise that saving £5K on cladding of a tower block is a false economy.
        I would prefer the type of cladding made illegal. And sprinklers compulsory.

Dare I suggest these should be retrospective(cue NLyUK abuse).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Well we have building regs for a start - which may or may not have been followed or correct - but the first thing to do would be to address that and retrofit any buildings identified as not being up to the required standard - sounds expensive but the correct response.

So step 1 is reduce as far as possible the risk of this happening again.
          Step 2 is to try to rehouse the people quickly - however I think this will take time and Corbyn needs to stop saying that they should commander any empty rich peoples houses - we are not in a communist state and so property is not theft and all that is doing is whipping up anti establishment sentiment.

Beyond that not sure

Maybe go riot and get myself a new pair of Air Jordans?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            but the first thing to do would be to address that and retrofit any buildings identified as not being up to the required standard - sounds expensive but the correct response.?
            There was a proposed amendment to the Regs recently that would have made it compulsory for Landlords to ensure that existing property was fit to live in and had suitable fire provision (ie sprinklers) but our Parliament voted it down,

I wonder how many of those voting were / are landlords...
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Or it's virtue signalling at its worst.

Yes it's sad, but in a way it's disrespectful to pretend that a minute's silence in any way makes up for what happened. And as much as this was a terrible single event, people die all the time, many in a fire in Portugal yesterday. So who is deciding which people are worthy of a minute's silence and which people aren't?

Plus they're always a bit painfully awkward. Sometimes in football or whatever they do a minute's applause for someone who's died, and I think that is a much better idea; both practically and in terms of what it's trying to achieve.

But each to their own. If someone was wanting to observe the silence I wouldn't go and start talking to them or whatever, but equally you shouldn't complain about other people not choosing to take part. In fact I'd bet the majority don't.
              Probably not, and as you say, each to their own. I do feel that in this case it is a large number of people who have, by the looks of things, been tragically betrayed by the very people who were supposed to be housing them safely, and if corners have been cut for aesthetic reasons, then this is not just a moment to reflect on their tragedy, but to perhaps wonder, in which other aspects of "authority" is our trust misplaced?
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                There was a proposed amendment to the Regs recently that would have made it compulsory for Landlords to ensure that existing property was fit to live in and had suitable fire provision (ie sprinklers) but our Parliament voted it down,

I wonder how many of those voting were / are landlords...

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-...private-rented
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X