• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Was your school this stupid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My school had one uniform all year round. On hot days, the headmaster might, if you were lucky, give permission to adopt "shirtsleeve order" - jacket off, tie off, top button of shirt undone, sleeves neatly rolled up to just above the elbows. But woe betide you if you tried that before the order had been promulgated, usually by means of a notice being pinned to one specific notice board outside the Bell Room, which was what the main administrative office was called.

Once permission had been given, you would then be in trouble if you didn't adopt shirtsleeve order.

On at least one occasion I can remember, the day started off very sultry and permission was promulgated at morning assembly. Shortly afterwards, the temperature fell quite sharply and frequent bouts of heavy rain ensued. Bear in mind that the school estate was extensive, with numerous buildings, so you might have to walk a quarter of a mile or even further in the open air between lessons.

But until the previously-granted permission to adopt shirtsleeve order had been explicitly rescinded by the head, we were required to continue with it.

Oh, and only monitors were allowed to use umbrellas.

It was a stupid place

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      My school had one uniform all year round. On hot days, the headmaster might, if you were lucky, give permission to adopt "shirtsleeve order" - jacket off, tie off, top button of shirt undone, sleeves neatly rolled up to just above the elbows. But woe betide you if you tried that before the order had been promulgated, usually by means of a notice being pinned to one specific notice board outside the Bell Room, which was what the main administrative office was called.

Once permission had been given, you would then be in trouble if you didn't adopt shirtsleeve order.

On at least one occasion I can remember, the day started off very sultry and permission was promulgated at morning assembly. Shortly afterwards, the temperature fell quite sharply and frequent bouts of heavy rain ensued. Bear in mind that the school estate was extensive, with numerous buildings, so you might have to walk a quarter of a mile or even further in the open air between lessons.

But until the previously-granted permission to adopt shirtsleeve order had been explicitly rescinded by the head, we were required to continue with it.

Oh, and only monitors were allowed to use umbrellas.

It was a stupid place
      Why do I envision you as Tom Brown and a fire?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Well the schools in South Africa and Portugal that I attended were pretty relaxed and it was shorts and t-shirt basically the whole year round but big school in the UK was tulipe with something resembling a suit. The girls uniform was also pretty dire, blue skirt and very yellow blouse but they had a one piece dress for summer (which was kind of weird gingham design) whereas we still had to have tie and jacket...

Oh yeah, this was the emblem on the tie:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Why do I envision you as Tom Brown and a fire?
          When I was in the Lower Sixth they changed the uniform tie from plain black to dark blue with stripes in one's house colours. It was only then that we learned that we'd been wearing the black tie in mourning for Queen Victoria.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            When I was in the Lower Sixth they changed the uniform tie from plain black to dark blue with stripes in one's house colours. It was only then that we learned that we'd been wearing the black tie in mourning for Queen Victoria.
            Exactly how old are you?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

We never needed such rules. The difference between summer and winter in Scotland could be determined solely by the temperature of the rain.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Exactly how old are you?
                They apparently felt that a little over three-quarters of a century of mourning was sufficient

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  linky

Mine wasn't and had a special summer uniform which included t-shirts with school logo on, dresses and shorts.
                  They're a chubby pair aren't they. I'm not surprised they were expiring in the heat. I wonder if they were sent home because of the smell...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

Oh yeah, this was the emblem on the tie:

Did it cost your parents a lot to get you into the Windowlickers Academy, or did you get some form of Grant?
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Surely no worries in this broad minded day and age

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X