• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banking Boomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    Save me the search and tell me - I was once told by a pissed bloke on the tube (at 8am on a Monday) that I was very 'bear like' - I'd always presumed he meant the beard and my fabulous physique but maybe I should have nutted him ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_(gay_culture)

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Errrrm, have you actually got a contract

Is it Retail or IB, there are differences there right enough.
      Then it depends who it is within Retail or IB.

Then finally it depends on which team you are working with.
      Some can be heaven or hell, even within the same organization.
      No contract yet - I did wonder if it was an elaborate scam - Advertise a contract, hire some offices in a city, do an "interview/test" tell everyone they have the gig, commence harvesting passports, driving licences, VAT certs, Incorporation certs, bank statements etc. But they do check out.

It's Retail - Mortgages

So it sounds like I shouldn't export Wolf of Wallstreet then.
      Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
      "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
        I've just been through the WaterOnboarding process (Extracting a lot of personal information out of me).

Not got a client name yet, but a Google search of "bank <street name from agent>" gave a pretty clear indication.
        You're more trusting than me. Who did the waterboarding? Agency? They'd get the square root of f-all out of me until knowing who the client might be.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I've just been through the WaterOnboarding process (Extracting a lot of personal information out of me).

Not got a client name yet
          Surely you don't do the onboarding process until after you've had the interview and accepted an offer which you have had. Unless all clocked in some underhand secrecy, you would know who you had the interview with?

Or are you thinking that providing two references to the agent is the onboarding process.

Oh, and in banking, the £25 a day extra disappears at the first rate cut.
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

No contract yet - I did wonder if it was an elaborate scam - Advertise a contract, hire some offices in a city, do an "interview/test" tell everyone they have the gig, commence harvesting passports, driving licences, VAT certs, Incorporation certs, bank statements etc. But they do check out.

It's Retail - Mortgages

So it sounds like I shouldn't export Wolf of Wallstreet then.
            No, retail banks are like investment banks, its just they have lower paid w*nkers generally working for them, rather than overpaid w*nkers.

Anyway, you get the picture
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Ah - I see.

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              You're more trusting than me. Who did the waterboarding? Agency? They'd get the square root of f-all out of me until knowing who the client might be.
              I'd be a bit suspicious of a bank that pre-screens before interviews etc ? You think you've been on boarded to a bank but don't actually know which one for certain and have no offer ?

Anyway I hope it works out - a week after starting you will wonder why you ever bothered. Or what you were so excited about.

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                Ah - I see.

I'd be a bit suspicious of a bank that pre-screens before interviews etc ? You think you've been on boarded to a bank but don't actually know which one for certain and have no offer ?

Anyway I hope it works out - a week after starting you will wonder why you ever bothered. Or what you were so excited about. Or you will go to the bank and find all of your accounts empty.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

No, retail banks are like investment banks, its just they have lower paid w*nkers generally working for them, rather than overpaid w*nkers.

Anyway, you get the picture
                  Retail banking is nothing like investment banking. The hours are less in retail, the retail environment is less aggressive (in terms of deadlines and personnel), retail is less competitive, the benefit of the name on the CV is less for retail, pay is diff (as you said). The transferability of the skillset is less for retail. Basically retail is not considered "banking" by snobby people who work in banking. Retail is growing and IB is shrinking.

Lastly, investment banking use totally different tech - retail is probably web sites, investment banking won't be unless you are doing an internal HR app or something.

Good luck to OP. Bear with it and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                    Retail banking is nothing like investment banking. The hours are less in retail, the retail environment is less aggressive (in terms of deadlines and personnel), retail is less competitive, the benefit of the name on the CV is less for retail, pay is diff (as you said). The transferability of the skillset is less for retail. Basically retail is not considered "banking" by snobby people who work in banking. Retail is growing and IB is shrinking.

Lastly, investment banking use totally different tech - retail is probably web sites, investment banking won't be unless you are doing an internal HR app or something.

Good luck to OP. Bear with it and you'll be fine.
                    That comment was very tongue in cheek, as I'm sure you realised.

Bear with me and I will try and explain further

I must admit I have only worked for 2 retails banks, but have worked with 5 Investment Banks.
                    Same tech in all.

They have all been different in my experience.

As far as aggression / pressure goes, it depends on the IB, some I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
                    Even front office teams vary from bank to bank.

Anyway I have always given as good as I get, so no worries on that score.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

That comment was very tongue in cheek, as I'm sure you realised.

Bear with me and I will try and explain further

I must admit I have only worked for 2 retails banks, but have worked with 5 Investment Banks.
                      Same tech in all.

They have all been different in my experience.

As far as aggression / pressure goes, it depends on the IB, some I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
                      Even front office teams vary from bank to bank.

Anyway I have always given as good as I get, so no worries on that score.
                      I find accountability is much lower in retail. When things go wrong nobody gets shot. In IB if you mess things up you are sidelined quickly because money is lost sooner. It's more a survival of the fittest environment whereas in retail they will bear with it and nobody gets punished. It's a 30 year career environment rather than "10 years and retire" environment of IB.

I have come across a number of psychopaths in IBs, I don't think that is an exaggeration. In retail they don't get away with it.

Lot more outsourcing in retail banks and that is reflected in the personnel you deal with.

What tech are you referring to? Middleware or user apps?

Comment

Working...
                      X