Banking Boomed Banking Boomed - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Banking Boomed

Should post faster

Lambert Simnel has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Black View Post
    ...what must be pretty dull work - no disrespect intended if that's not the case but I've always assumed it all number-crunching and databases?
    Depends what rocks your boat, I think. I've always been interested in Finance, and the problems around areas such as regulatory oversight are pretty challenging. Equally, if you enjoy data architecture then there are quite significant challenges in an IB, certainly enough to keep one's interest going.

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Black
    ...what must be pretty dull work - no disrespect intended if that's not the case but I've always assumed it all number-crunching and databases?
    I imagine it is pretty dull work, until it's time to prepare your fortnightly invoice - Then it gets a lot more interesting!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Double Godlike!

MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by rl4engc View Post
    Cheers folks, looks like I should be OK.

@Mordac

It's not an agency in the traditional pimp sense, they help companies with regulatory issues and so they put their staff on the clients floor. My interview was with one of their senior technical guys and a HR person.

@chopper

Sorry I've had the interview and accepted over phone.

@MrMarkyMark

I've worked for a public sector client, so I've worked with incompetent winkers, so I'd imagine RB are one level above these.
    Good man, awaiting contract, then. Well done .

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Black View Post
    Sounds like Hell on so many levels.

I've got the greatest respect for contractors who work in the financial sector. For me, aside from all the aforementioned issues, I couldn't hack (no pun intended ) what must be pretty dull work - no disrespect intended if that's not the case but I've always assumed it's all number-crunching and databases?

Have always tried to work on interesting projects which is why I've always stuck to the (admittedly lower paid) engineering sector.
    WHS.

I had a permie interview for a financial company a couple of years ago. It wasn't even in that tulip-hole city in the South East but in leafy Surrey. The interview went well; I think I'd have got it, but I told the agent no straight away because quite frankly I wanted to throw myself off the nearest bridge at the thought of having to do that.

Part of me wishes I could put up with anything for the cash, but in reality I'd rather use my powers for good.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Double Godlike!

MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    WHS.

I had a permie interview for a financial company a couple of years ago. It wasn't even in that tulip-hole city in the South East but in leafy Surrey. The interview went well; I think I'd have got it, but I told the agent no straight away because quite frankly I wanted to throw myself off the nearest bridge at the thought of having to do that.

Part of me wishes I could put up with anything for the cash, but in reality I'd rather use my powers for good.
    Depends what rocks your boat (that term again).

I had a lot of fun, in the last few years, when I put together a team of 8 and could choose most of the the people myself.
    Major project got delivered and my selected contractors and myself all enjoyed a lot of well paid work after it.

As with everything you just can't generalise

Banned

Fronttoback 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    WHS.

This comes down to self discipline. Solve boring problems in interesting ways. Above all you will be working with people, and people are always interesting once you get to know them. Work is work. Much higher paid work is better but it takes discipline to manage the downside and make it enjoyable.