• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to cut benefits?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will an automated fruit picking machine be invented?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I had classmates whose parents were cleaners who they lived on council estates and rented. Then again this was in London where house prices are always higher.

BTW they let that slip by accident. Oddly no-one bullied them for it.
      I remember houses in Lewisham and Peckham where about £50k in the early/mid 90s, so flats were probably about £30K (which is a shade below £60K in real terms). These were just about obtainable for anyone who had full-time work.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Time for retrospectively defined tax evaders to be put to the land to dig for victory.
        Too jingoistic for these progressive times.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          Or perhaps housing costs need to come down? I remember in the early 1990s when even on low pay you could by yourself a small flat above a shop.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
            I remember houses in Lewisham and Peckham where about £50k in the early/mid 90s, so flats were probably about £30K (which is a shade below £60K in real terms). These were just about obtainable for anyone who had full-time work.
            All the low paid jobs I mentioned apart from retail and some hotel work tended to be part-time.

And 1990 was the top of a housing bubble.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

All the low paid jobs I mentioned apart from retail and some hotel work tended to be part-time.

And now 1990 looks like a great time to have bought.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                It was (well 1992).
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

I did say early to mid. I think 1996 was the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I quoted the prices from Lewisham and Peckham because my very good friend's dad was buying them at the time. While others were buying in 'posh parts' he was busy hoovering them up in inner south London. Back then he used to drive in a wreck of a Peugeot 205. Now he collects his rent in a brand-new Bentley Continental GT Speed. Such are the times.

Comment

Getting on for 100k in prisons. Bring back chain gangs
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X