• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU prepares to move two agencies from London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU prepares to move two agencies from London

Perhaps house prices and revenue in local business will fall. Stupid me, they can be new council houses right there in the city..

This is just scare mongering.

EU leaders have officially launched the competition between member states to decide which will host two London-based EU agencies, responsible for medicines and banking.

The relocation must take place by the Brexit deadline - 30 March 2019.

Some countries are bidding to host both the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and European Banking Authority (EBA).

It means hundreds of jobs moving from London, along with significant revenue from hotel stays and conferences.

The deciding vote will take place in November.

The EU 27 agreed on the selection process on Thursday night, after UK Prime Minister Theresa May had left the Brussels summit.

The 27 are determined that the UK will pay the relocation bill, as Brexit was a UK decision.

What might Brexit mean for medicines and clinical trials?
    UK in summit pledge on EU citizens’ rights
    Bank urges Brexit 'contingency plans'
    The EMA's total number of staff in 2015 was 890, while the EBA's was 189. Both are headquartered in Canary Wharf.

The EMA had 36,000 visitors in 2015, and 30,000 hotel nights were booked, the

source: EU prepares to move two agencies from London - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Lots of people at the European Medicines Agency doing the grunt work are non-EU citizens.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Lots of people at the European Medicines Agency doing the grunt work are non-EU citizens.
      Now you're just spoiling Scooter's thread.

Comment

They are EU sympathisers, collaborators even!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          Now you're just spoiling Scooter's thread.
          I can't help it.

When you have some inside information it's only fair to share it.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Which probably means they won't be moving as wherever it moves to will have it's own share of non-EU citizens to do the grunt work so they'll be taking another job in the UK, oh dear...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Grunt work? Like the phone call I just had... "We're calling you about the accident you had."
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Grunt work? Like the phone call I just had... "We're calling you about the accident you had."
                I hope it was serious and prevents you from posting.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Alas I dont think getting your thumbs stuck in your arse counts as a serous accident

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Yes that serious. Did you realise 34.454354352, yes that number the one you just read has a letter in it?

Actually no not really but made you'll never get those 20 seconds back.

Comment

Working...
                    X