• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting Quotes in for building work - with or without materials

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Quotes in for building work - with or without materials

Having the other house renovated so I can get it back earning me some cash, had someone in to give me quotes and they've asked do I want with or without materials. I know without means they could stay under the VAT threshold, but anything I need to be wary off if I go without materials? I assume I can get "trade prices" using MyCo's registration details at most big firms, it is more hassle than its worth to save a few quid or can the savings add up
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Did he look like this?

Comment

Unless you know the trades involved it's generally more hassle sourcing the material yourself. Ask for the quote to include separate line items for labour and materials and what they are and you can make sure they are not taking the piss on the costs.

Most reputable tradesmen should be happy to do this.

Labour - 2 days £x
      Materials
      - Plaster £y
      - Paint £z

Etc.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

See if you can get them to break the work down in to smaller invoices. AFAIK you can't claim for improvements but you can for repairs. See if they will split the invoices to what is an improvement and what is a repair.

I wouldn't bother messing about with materials to be honest.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Go LPM (Labour plant material) if you supply the materials things to consider:

If you get the wrong stuff & men are standing – you pay labour standing time
          If your delivery is late & men are standing – you pay labour standing time
          If you get the wrong quantity & men are standing – you pay labour standing time

Do you know exactly what is needed ie a ply board comes in 4 different thickness & can be a stirling, WPB or FR board

If the builders have not paid for the mats, then they will not be that worried about wastage / damages as if they need any more it’s not their cost

You have to be in to accept & check delivery

If there is surplus at the end of the project it will be your responsibility to dispose of it.

Just because you have a Ltd you will not automatically get trade prices, your normal trade is not construction so why should they give you a discount to encourage repeat business.
          eg a domestic builder I know gets 20% discount at TP via his construction Co, I get 40% despite not having a company & paying via a private credit card – this game is very much who you know.
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Is it really worth the hassle? How much is your time worth?

Comment

Get them to supply the materials.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Where is the poll? Preferably with witty pole and AndyW options.....

Comment

unless there is a really significant cost saving i.e. you can source X amount of reclaimed bricks for peanuts via a friend or your uncle owns an insulation factory I wouldn't bother far too much hassle.We have sourced stuff for builders where we wanted to choose e.g. sinks / lights but a few times it has been hard work when they arrived, builders didn't like them /had plumbed etc. incorrectly for them (we had shown them & printed the instructions out.)

Maybe price the materials up personally and compare to their quote?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The Real Way to Save Real Money.

I assume I can get "trade prices" using MyCo's registration details at most big firms, it is more hassle than its worth to save a few quid or can the savings add up

No income tax, no VAT..........

Please note that is your good self on the right

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X