• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK entering new golden engineering age

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Crossrail being finished. London bridge upgrade being finished. Victoria station upgrade being finished.

Its just like the Victorian times all over again.

Now lets build some power stations....
    All done with a large number non-UK labour as it seems UK residents don't want to work in construction

No I don't have a link for the stats - this is more an empirical view based on what I see out of my window
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
      All done with a large number non-UK labour as it seems UK residents don't want to work in construction

No I don't have a link for the stats - this is more an empirical view based on what I see out of my window
      Or maybe rich employers are hooked on cheap overseas labour.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        The ones made by Siemens you mean?
        Wind Farm Owners and Operators - The Renewable Energy Centre

No, I mean;

British - Centrica Renewables
        British - B9 Energy
        British - Baywind Energy Cooperative
        British - BP Alternative Energy
        British - Ecotricity
        British - Reg Wind Power
        British - Scottish & Southern Energy
        British - Scottish Power Renewables
        British - Boyndee Wind Farm Co-operative
        British - Wind Direct
        British - Arran Wind Power
        British - Coronation Power
        British - Infinis Group
        British - Hainsford Renewable Energy

Let's not dumb down UK Engineering, or UK PLC.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Or maybe rich employers are hooked on cheap overseas labour.

rich employers hooked on very expensive overseas labour
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Rolls Royce still manufacture submarine nuclear power units - does that count?

Several British companies are at the vanguard of wind farm technologies - does that count?
            Why is it the Chinese and the French who will build Hinkley thingy?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Because of the risks involved in building a nuclear power station, using a workforce that is 52% cretin.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Because of the risks involved in building a nuclear power station, using a workforce that is 52% cretin.
                Chinese safety record is so good of course. They would never use inflammable cladding in their tower blocks.

Comment

Chinese safety record is so good of course. They would never use inflammable cladding in their tower blocks.
                  Inflammable cladding is an attribute of class war, not cretinism.

Comment

UK entering new golden engineering age

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    The French are highly experienced in nuclear power, they have loads of nuclear power plants, and at the time HPC was getting selected the European high pressure reactor was looking good. Trouble is its too complex, and the Helsinki and Breast reactors are years over budget and time. (Which is why HPC is taking so long, the French don't want to build it because they are already up to their necks in tulip). We have the Chinese involvement because it's great kudos for them, and making them happy is good for other strategic business.
                    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 26 June 2017, 10:19.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      I'm not miserable, I'm enjoying this immensely. It's the Brexiters who seem miserable.

But think back to the 2012 Olympics. I was cynical about it beforehand but it turned out to be a remarkable projection of the cultural influence of the UK. The UK is now a laughing stock, and while optimism such as yours can sometimes be an admirable trait, right now it looks like your head is stuck in the sand. Much better to take a deep breath, re-evaluate the situation and come up with a plan to make the best of things.
                      But you seem so unhappy. Passive aggressive comments and then the miserable comments. If you are generally happy then my apologises but going by your comments it seems that you are a little sad.

Comment

Working...
                      X