• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plz can vee zee your paperz

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    we have ways of looking at your papers

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/germany

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F31208

oh dear its normal in the fabulous EU.
    Are you trying to highlight that it's quite possible to maintain control of your borders while staying within the EU? Good to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
      Are you trying to highlight that it's quite possible to maintain control of your borders while staying within the EU? Good to hear.
      If you seriously think there is any real border control on mainland Europe you are nuts.

The main challenge with being in the EU was that people would come to the UK as an EU citizen - and then just stay and expect to be fed and housed.

It is easy to walk from Germany to France.

You cannot walk from UK to mainland Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        If you seriously think there is any real border control on mainland Europe you are nuts.

The main challenge with being in the EU was that people would come to the UK as an EU citizen - and then just stay and expect to be fed and housed.
        I wonder which person who was the last Home Secretary who hadn't heard of Directive 2004/38/EC?

You can but you may be flattened by a train if they don't find you in time.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If there are no trains going you can. Or you can hang underneath one.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            You can but you may be flattened by a train if they don't find you in time.
            You can use the service tunnel and walk all the way through in theory.

I'm in favour of civil liberties, but I never quite understood the fuss about ID cards. As said I pretty much always have my drivers licence anyway. If a policeman randomly stopped me and asked for ID I wouldn't make a big fuss about state oppression, I'd just show him my ID and be on my way.

But fairly obviously, immigrants having ID cards only really works if everyone has ID cards.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              If there are no trains going you can. Or you can hang underneath one.
              You would definitely die on the UK side so I wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                You can use the service tunnel and walk all the way through in theory.

I'm in favour of civil liberties, but I never quite understood the fuss about ID cards. As said I pretty much always have my drivers licence anyway. If a policeman randomly stopped me and asked for ID I wouldn't make a big fuss about state oppression, I'd just show him my ID and be on my way.

But fairly obviously, immigrants having ID cards only really works if everyone has ID cards.
                It's to do with stuff after WWII

Comment

I was just trying to understand what vetran was telling us about the close inspection of papers in the EU. From what you now say, it sounds like he might have exaggerating for effect

Comment

Flew from Dublin to Gatwick last night without my passport as a challenge. Easy, used my Irish Driving licence no questions asked at all.

So what happens there on Brexit and 'controlling our borders'?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Flew from Dublin to Gatwick last night without my passport as a challenge. Easy, used my Irish Driving licence no questions asked at all. So what happens there on Brexit and 'controlling our borders'?
                      After Brexit you'll have to present your passport before having to walk from Gatwick to Dublin.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X