• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drove past Greenfell tower this morning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Government KNEW cladding could catch fire a year ago | Daily Mail Online

Government reassured by quango that flammable cladding was safe last April
    Paid adviser BRE Global said 'no evidence' safety checks on towers 'were failing'
    It's now being paid to confirm if cladding is dangerous and has failed all 95 so far
    Out of date building regulations are being blamed for allowing cladding through
    US firm halts sales of Grenfell-type panels sending its share price plummeting
    'Convoluted' fire regulations were last looked at in 2005 and are a 'total mess'

Of course, being the Wail, this could well be nonsense....
    One of the prominent people at the paper cleaner, gardener or painter and decorator etc is missing
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      I've heard rumours that the flat where the fire started was being used to grow cannabis, and a grow light overheated.

But even if that is true, we'll almost certainly never be told. Much easier to blame Hotpoint for a mysterious incendiary fridge.

Also, apparently the guy who lived in the flat has gone AWOL (with or without the Government's connivance).
      Sounds like utter bollocks to me. If you're doing a large-scale grow you don't do it in a tower block where it's hard to bypass the meter, or get gear and crops in and out, without being caught. And a small grow for personal use doesn't make much sense - in an area like that, it'd be cheaper and easier to buy from the big boys. I wouldn't imagine you'd have to walk far to find a bit of green round there

A cheap secondhand fridge, probably not well looked after, going up, though - that sounds a lot more likely.

Comment

I had suspected a meth lab rather than a cannabis farm...

I work in an office building attached to Manchester Arena, whose main entrance was in the foyer area which was bombed. We've been back in the building three weeks ago, but half of the glass fronted entrance into the foyer is boarded up (glass broken by the shrapnel), the unsmashed panes have had opaque film placed over them. My desk pretty much overlooks that area. Builders have been in the foyer, mainly securing the area (I am unable to see into it, but based on a journalist who gained access to the foyer yesterday as part of Prince Charles' visit, the flooring still bears the scars of the explosion, and apparently concrete and metalwork has holes in it from the shrapnel. We were told cameras were not allowed into the foyer as it is still being treated as a crime scene) but they have been quite noisy. The main entrance to the foyer from Victoria Station has been concealed behind scaffolding.

Seeing that, every day, is an incredibly sobering experience indeed.
        Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          I've heard rumours that the flat where the fire started was being used to grow cannabis, and a grow light overheated.

But even if that is true, we'll almost certainly never be told. Much easier to blame Hotpoint for a mysterious incendiary fridge.

Also, apparently the guy who lived in the flat has gone AWOL (with or without the Government's connivance).
          I've heard rumours that you are a ******* idiot.

Comment

Owlhoot has posted things like this recently, but refuses to provide any sources or evidence. As such we have to accept that he is a liar, or is being fed lies by his controllers (EDL/BNP/DM/UKIP) and is too stupid to question the lies as they would then rock the fundamentals of his faith. Much easier to say that it's rumoured to be a drug den than to accept anything that would mean that innocent people died in a fire.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Owlhoot has posted things like this recently, but refuses to provide any sources or evidence. As such we have to accept that he is a liar, or is being fed lies by his controllers (EDL/BNP/DM/UKIP) and is too stupid to question the lies as they would then rock the fundamentals of his faith. Much easier to say that it's rumoured to be a drug den than to accept anything that would mean that innocent people died in a fire.
              KUATB

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                It's not a rumour.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Being in London for a conference tomorrow, I took the H&C past there earlier on. I didn't know how close the block is to the track, which is elevated at that point. Very shocking to see such devastation so close

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    It's not a rumour.
                    It's not, he said rumours...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      posted things like this recently, but refuses to provide any sources or evidence.
                      Are you actually asking that CUK posts should be backed up by sources or evidence?

If that is the case, could mod decisions be backed up by evidence?

Comment

Working...
                      X