• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Year of the linux desktop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Firstly use CompleteFTP

Secondly, NLUK won't thank me for this, however he has been incredibly helpful to myself and many other posters on many occasions. He has a low tolerance for idiots. Given his expertise, I don't think that is unreasonable.

PS have you asked your accountant how to set it up?
    I agree with NLUK, pretty sure he gave me some advice once that wasn't terrible!

As for asking the accountant.... its getting just about desperate enough

Comment

I've actually set two of these up recently which sounded exactly what you are trying to do... But it appears you don't want my help. Shame.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Or you could install FreeBSD and follow this tutorial. Text mode is not that scary...
        You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

(sorry, highjacking the thread a bit here I know, but ..)

I'll be buying a new kick-ass PC before long, and am determined to avoid Windows 10 and use only Linux.

Anyone know if are there fairly simple linux flavours that one could install with a Windows emulator such as "wine" (if that is still going) sufficient to run most Windows programs?

I worked with someone about ten years ago who had a brilliant linux setup where he could run Office and most Windows PC games, and my goal is to get to that happy state and leave sluggish unreliable intrusive Microjunk behind for ever!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I've actually set two of these up recently which sounded exactly what you are trying to do... But it appears you don't want my help. Shame.
            It's only your financial advice he doesn't want.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I'd bet there's 18,371 written in NodeJS, all with identical Guthub pages that tell you nothing at all about what they are or what they do.

Npm install-********-ftp. Simples.
              You need to be subsumed into the blob to understand all that stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                (sorry, highjacking the thread a bit here I know, but ..)

I'll be buying a new kick-ass PC before long, and am determined to avoid Windows 10 and use only Linux.

Anyone know if are there fairly simple linux flavours that one could install with a Windows emulator such as "wine" (if that is still going) sufficient to run most Windows programs?

I worked with someone about ten years ago who had a brilliant linux setup where he could run Office and most Windows PC games, and my goal is to get to that happy state and leave sluggish unreliable intrusive Microjunk behind for ever!
                Most UBUNTU flavours are pretty user friendly to install and run, and a VM like virtualbox or VMplayer would let you install native windows and run what you like.
                make sure there's plenty of RAM and an SSD would be good too.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  Most UBUNTU flavours are pretty user friendly to install and run.
                  ^^^This.

I've used Ubuntu for years - well since 2011. I do have my own crap Windows laptop but I haven't used it for 3 months. Prior to that I used Windows about twice a month for my own purposes.

Another reason I also have to keep Windows as workwise I'm expected to be able to use various OS.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I haven't used Linux for a little while but it's crap. Pile of tulipe. Year of Linux? when my balls freeze over.

Comment

well, there are a few large orgs running linux on REAL computers these days ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X