• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Year of the linux desktop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    But native Windows (or at least Windows 10) is what I'd be trying to avoid by using Linux. Otherwise I might just as well have a dual-boot system and use Windows anyway.

I don't mind something like wine, which (AIUI) is a basic Windows framework. But I don't want all the bells and whistles running in the background slowing down everything and constantly sending data back to Microsoft.
    ah, - ok then. it's not my main area of expertise, but i've found wine can be finicky, it seems to be designed primarily for games. again, i'm not an expert, maybe someone else can help.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I've actually set two of these up recently which sounded exactly what you are trying to do... But it appears you don't want my help. Shame.
      Got it working not long after posting this, Your help would have been appreciated - You get the piss ripped out of you a bit on here but Im fairly sure my interactions with you have ended in me getting either
      1. Good advice
      2. Mocked for asking stupid questions.

I learn from both!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        (sorry, highjacking the thread a bit here I know, but ..)

I'll be buying a new kick-ass PC before long, and am determined to avoid Windows 10 and use only Linux.

Anyone know if are there fairly simple linux flavours that one could install with a Windows emulator such as "wine" (if that is still going) sufficient to run most Windows programs?

I worked with someone about ten years ago who had a brilliant linux setup where he could run Office and most Windows PC games, and my goal is to get to that happy state and leave sluggish unreliable intrusive Microjunk behind for ever!
        Given the experiences Ive had for the last few days don't do it... If you don't want to use windows 10 get a win 7 licence off eBay.
        I just dont think that linux is there yet unless you want to commit quite a bit of time learning how to do things that would be simple in windows/osx.

That said, Ive been using Ubuntu Mate for the last few days now and I quite like it, I wouldnt use it as my main OS, but I like it more than I though I would!
        Last edited by Snarf; 2 July 2017, 02:15.

Comment

Working...
        X