• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cashing in My Chips, The Final Curtain.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cashing in My Chips, The Final Curtain.

The time has come, the final curtain....etc.

1 month to run on current contract, told today no chance of extension, a corporate directive responsible, rather than budget (offered by two people).

Anyway, I was going to be done there by the end of the year, best possible scenario, in any case.

So, I've decided I'm also done here in the UK, for now. Not a sudden decision, but one considered over the last year or so.

Going to close my LTD and grab some entrepreneurial relief, before any possible changes (thievery) in the Autumn budget.

Off to New Zealand with its fast growing economy where they seem to have a modicum of respect for IT.
    Pays London rates, expensive there, but not London prices.

Also having family member big in real estate there which will enable the few hundred K, I extract from the LTD, to good use .

The Chunt of Chunts.

NZ sounds fantastic place. I'm a bit past it unfortunately.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

1 month to run on current contract, told today no chance of extension, a corporate directive responsible, rather than budget (offered by two people).

Anyway, I was going to be done there by the end of the year, best possible scenario, in any case.

So, I've decided I'm also done here in the UK, for now. Not a sudden decision, but one considered over the last year or so.

Going to close my LTD and grab some entrepreneurial relief, before any possible changes (thievery) in the Autumn budget.

Off to New Zealand with its fast growing economy where they seem to have a modicum of respect for IT.

Also having family member big in real estate there which will enable the few hundred K, I extract from the LTD, to good use .

Good luck. I've been looking and have had offers in New York, Berlin and Switzerland. BUt difficult to move with a family, so mulling things over for now.
      Moving is right, this country is fooked for the immediate future. Brexit will fook it and Corbyn will finish it off with a cream pie.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Good luck. I've been looking and have had offers in New York, Berlin and Switzerland.
        Well that is encouraging for you. Rumour had it that the bottom had fallen out of the Lollipop Man market.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          NZ sounds fantastic place. I'm a bit past it unfortunately.
          I have lived there before xoggoth and I can vouch it is.

Heading towards 50 myself (they accept up to 57 for IT skill visa), but lucky I have family connections there too.

I'm really done with it here currently, shame to say, but that's how it is.

It may turn out to be a good thing, as whoever is in here they are going to be grabbing all they can tax wise .
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

NZ is in a massive property boom and has been for years. But I'm sure you know that.

The world is small if you have skills and cash. You can go there and return at any time.

It's a great place.

Can I buy your username and password?

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
              NZ is in a massive property boom and has been for years. But I'm sure you know that.

The world is small if you have skills and cash. You can go there and return at any time.

It's a great place.

Can I buy your username and password?
              Yes indeed and when you consider buying a plot is fairly easy with a house on it with room to build another one.
              Mostly built of wood, build cost low, selling price once built high.

Whats not to like

We are going to leave the London flat we currently live in, which is slowly being renovated around us, it's an art deco one. In 10 years it may be really up to scratch

As for your last question the answer has to be No, unfortunately, I fully intend to still be here boring and upsetting people on a fairly regular basis
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Congrats Marky on the big decision , the correct decision. This country is class A f**ked and I wish I could do the same thing you are doing. But we're too invested in this country with our kids at school and property investments and a lot of close family that we'd find difficult to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Well good for you. I suppose if I was in your shoes, bit of cash in the bank, no ties and can't get laid in the UK because I was a butt ugly, sexually unattractive bore then yes, I'd probably piss off to the other side of the world to see if my 'accent' would make a difference.

Good luck with that fugly.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Well that is encouraging for you. Rumour had it that the bottom had fallen out of the Lollipop Man market.
                    But enough about your rectal prolapse.

Good luck MM. That's another blow to the average IQ of both countries.

Comment

Working...
                    X