• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Hong Kong

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does show you the power of networking though. I do work for old clients but rarely generate anything new from linked. You have to get out there and meet people.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Well screw them.
      Yeah with their pearly white teeth and wrinkle free faces, ****ers.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        I'm doing my best now! Looking into i don't think HK is for us. Looks like a place for the young and ambitious.
        If your Missus looks younger than her age then why not try it for up to 2 years if the numbers work out?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If your Missus looks younger than her age then why not try it for up to 2 years if the numbers work out?
          I hope she likes working Saturdays

Also, it seems a 70 hour week is common.

Singapore seems to be quite similar with most being available for around 12+ hours per day.
          They may go out for a couple of hours during the day, but may not log off until 7-8PM, their time.

working days in Hong Kong - British Expats
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            I hope she likes working Saturdays

On the other hand it may be worth finding another country to move to.

I hear New Zealand is good - it has lots of open space and interesting parrots though the water stinks in some places.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

On the other hand it may be worth finding another country to move to.

I hear New Zealand is good - it has lots of open space and interesting parrots though the water stinks in some places.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...l-curtain.html
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Honkers

Honkers is intense. It's for the under 30 expat if you want the party life that a lot of expats live there. Other than party there is not that much to do. There are a lot of hardcore Brits and Aussies there that like to party very hard. It's a fun, social place and the expat community is mainly finance workers afaik.

Rent is VERY expensive. 20 sqm flat for about 800 quid per month and that was 10 years ago and in a red light area where expats don't usually go. Rent was triple that in the nice area (MidLevels).

If you go, take my advice and live in MidLevels with the expats.

It's a sleazy, dirty place away from the expat areas.

You can do a bit of hiking there and it's well placed for visiting other countries.

Tax is low and you can make decent money if you stick it out. If you don't have accomodation paid forget it.

A lot of expats love it. Many Brits have been there many many years.

I wouldn't go there again. Singapore is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                  Honkers is intense. It's for the under 30 expat if you want the party life that a lot of expats live there. Other than party there is not that much to do. There are a lot of hardcore Brits and Aussies there that like to party very hard. It's a fun, social place and the expat community is mainly finance workers afaik.

Rent is VERY expensive. 20 sqm flat for about 800 quid per month and that was 10 years ago and in a red light area where expats don't usually go. Rent was triple that in the nice area (MidLevels).

If you go, take my advice and live in MidLevels with the expats.

It's a sleazy, dirty place away from the expat areas.

You can do a bit of hiking there and it's well placed for visiting other countries.

Tax is low and you can make decent money if you stick it out. If you don't have accomodation paid forget it.

A lot of expats love it. Many Brits have been there many many years.

I wouldn't go there again. Singapore is better.
                  Good round up.

I looked into it a few times, as I have always had a good time when I have visited.

You never feel far from the Yakuza though, especially in Wan Chai

Great book set in Hong Kong.....

Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent Into Crystal Meth Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland by Chris Thrall — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I should have added I was more at home in Kowloon, likely to be because my parents spent a lot of time in Asia in the '70's.

Bangkok was proper wild then
                  Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 28 June 2017, 15:38.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Good round up.

I looked into it a few times, as I have always had a good time when I have visited.

You never feel far from the Yakuza though, especially in Wan Chai

Great book set in Hong Kong.....

Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent Into Crystal Meth Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland by Chris Thrall — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I should have added I was more at home in Kowloon, likely to be because my parents spent a lot of time in Asia in the '70's.

Bangkok was proper wild then
                    Yeah man, I know Kowloon well. Good enter the dragon vibe around there in the back streets.

These places were very raw back in the day.

Comment

Do you know something?

I've never been east of Bruges.

West is best in my book

Mind you, that's all about to change with my upcoming trip to a Greek Island this summer.

Comment

Working...
                      X