• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Hong Kong

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    Do you know something?

I've never been east of Bruges.

West is best in my book

Mind you, that's all about to change with my upcoming trip to a Greek Island this summer.
    Pips going greek!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I'm doing my best now! Looking into i don't think HK is for us. Looks like a place for the young and ambitious.
      Ever heard of FILTH? No, not the activity NLyUK is discounting by 50% this week. Failed in London Try Hong Kong. Plenty of older expats over there.

Just a couple of stories from me. I assume others have loads more.

French guy I worked with in London. I liked him, however he despised me. I once had to report him to his boss as I was worried I was going to be attacked. Turns out his baby was stressing him out. Anyway, he goes down the pub. Minor argument. He smashes bottle of beer in the other guys head. Of course he can no longer work in EU in anything where you cannot have a criminal record. However he is doing great at Barclays in HK.

Another expat friend was out drinking. Some guy said the wrong thing to him. He knocked him out. The bouncers knew him as a regular and wanted to keep his custom. So did nothing.

Comment

HK banking is the real English old boy network. Much worse than in London. There are plenty of places for them to be obnoxious in Honkers.

And the socially ambitious local girls get their hands on some money - and then have surgery to westernise their eyes and get boob jobs, to try and trap an English toff.

Lot of yanks there that get so called "yellow fever" and never leave the bamboo alone. See them in Wan Chai chasing the young local girls. Buying them bottles champagne to get them to hang out with a middle aged loud fat yank for a few hours. And they do.

Comment

Anyone worked in HK?
          An interesting and timely article....

Once a Model City, Hong Kong Is in Trouble - The New York Times

Comment

This one time I went to Ipswich. Never again.

HK is good for a week and an excellent base to travel from for long-weekends or a little further afield. Don't know the truth of it but the papers these days seem to talk more and more about the erosion of free speech and the mainland slowly taking over HK affairs. Saying that HK is very safe. As an expat you'll be 10 times safer than wondering about London.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Make sure accommodation is being paid for in the package. The mid-levels are Mayfair London money!

Like other asian expat rich countries (i.e. Singapore), there is still a huge element of white privilege in Honkers. All of the senior management in Banking are white British/Americans and they live in tightly knit communities to ensure this prevails. This is changing however, and the packages they offer aren't as great anymore.

The rest has been pretty much covered by other posters. It is well known that well educated white men who can't make it in London/New York because they are incompetent/criminals come to HK, Singapore or Dubai.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                I hope she likes working Saturdays

Also, it seems a 70 hour week is common.

Singapore seems to be quite similar with most being available for around 12+ hours per day.
                They may go out for a couple of hours during the day, but may not log off until 7-8PM, their time.

working days in Hong Kong - British Expats
                I can attest to that, It's pretty similar but I've never worked on Saturdays in Singapore.

Comment

Misses just offered job in HK, have no idea about HK at all, living expenses etc. 100k perm role.

Anyone worked in HK? Would 100k go far?
                  If my Mrs got a job 6000 miles away, I'd make sure she went.

Comment

I've worked here for a short while. Food is alright, you can get really cheap stuff if you stay at the city fringes like Mongkok and such. Accommodation is expensive, almost as expensive as Singapore. I try to get a serviced apartment most of the time, I use /metroresidences.com/hk-en/ provider but you can google and for more options too. Best case scenario is as mentioned, if your package covers accommodation then you're set.
                    Last edited by cojak; 16 March 2018, 06:09. Reason: Removed link

Comment

Working...
                    X