• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The U-turn of a U-turn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Tories have already done that. Loaded everyone with debt and no hope of every paying it back.

debt debt debt loadsa debt.
    And there was me thinking people are responsible for their own actions.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      And there was me thinking people are responsible for their own actions.
      They are. But blame (for example) for a credit boom must also lie with policy makers, as it's entirely predictable. This isn't a party political matter either.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        They are. But blame (for example) for a credit boom must also lie with policy makers, as it's entirely predictable. This isn't a party political matter either.
        Fair enough and I understand that people need a roof over their heads. On the flip side, it's clear that there's no need to buy, for example, brand new cars on PCP or swanky holidays to sunny climes on the drip.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Theresa May might just be the least tactical PM to ever serve.
          Whoever told the Tory / DUP MPs that cheering when they defeat a vote to lift a cap on public sector pay makes good viewing and is a vote winner shows a massive lack of judgement.

OK, so technically it wasn't a vote about public sector pay, but that's not how people are going to see it when for the next n months it gets played over and over again about how they voted against a pay rise in the public sector.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Fair enough and I understand that people need a roof over their heads. On the flip side, it's clear that there's no need to buy, for example, brand new cars on PCP or swanky holidays to sunny climes on the drip.
            Sure. But if near zero % credit is available for car purchase, lots of people will buy new cars. Car manufacturers will tool up to increase production. The second hand car market will be flooded in three years time, depressing the value of second hand cars (which are also the assets on which the PCP loans are secured). Meanwhile there will be excess capacity in car manufacturers.

Blaming individual consumers is fine as a moralistic response to deal with the individual circumstances they find themselves in, but it's not an adequate policy response for the cumulative effect of cheap credit on the economy (as I know you know).

Comment

The reason young people do that is that house prices are totally beyond them. So they spend their money elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                The reason young people do that is that house prices are totally beyond them. So they spend their money elsewhere.
                Savings and investments?

Comment

Sure. But if near zero % credit is available for car purchase, lots of people will buy new cars. Car manufacturers will tool up to increase production. The second hand car market will be flooded in three years time, depressing the value of second hand cars (which are also the assets on which the PCP loans are secured). Meanwhile there will be excess capacity in car manufacturers.

Blaming individual consumers is fine as a moralistic response to deal with the individual circumstances they find themselves in, but it's not an adequate policy response for the cumulative effect of cheap credit on the economy (as I know you know).
                  Read: the general public can't be trusted with money.

Comment

Read: the general public can't be trusted with money.
                    They can't be trusted with plentiful cheap credit. This has been understood for a long time.

Comment

They can't be trusted with plentiful cheap credit. This has been understood for a long time.
                      Without cheap credit, the UK economy will go down the pan, consumption being it's biggest driver. This has been understood for a long time.
                      But not by Brexiters who can't differentiate between the appearance of prosperity and the reality.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X