• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The main reason I frequent this forum.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I post on here while doing other things.
    WSS
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      You mean scooterscot & nluk aren't AI bot projects?

Guess I'll have to revise my idea of undergrad CS students' abilities!
      Turing test....

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        This board - believe it or not - use to be one of the few where people were polite and reasoned. That was then, this is now...
        Your memory doesn't tally with mine...

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        I don't understand why she thought she was being ignored. Ferret told her that sharpness towards newbies who have not done their research is par for the course. Ask a stupid question or expect people to do their homework for you and you will probably be told as much.

What she tried to do was impose her own version of reality on the board and tell us how we should be running it.

I can also tell you that before she went to the PCG she left here and wanted her ID deleted and all her posts removed. We told her to remove her own posts if she wanted to but we were not going to delete them. Surely she must see a pattern appearing. People ridicule her posts and outlook on contracting so she leaves here and goes to the PCG. She puts people's noses out of joint there and gets banned so comes back here where she tries to take over the forum and make us run the forum the way she wants it to be run.

Yes, the boards terms and conditions are there as a general guide but being a long-term user of the board you must also know how it goes here. Over the last six months people have been warned and banned for being too aggressive, too rude and also for running multiple IDs. Yes, some people are a bit aggressive on here but when you get to know the characters on here then you understand what they are all about. CUK is an acquired taste, a bit bitter to newbies and those who will never get it but once you have got a taste for it, understand the banter and the characters then it is a unique and entertaining place.

YMMV. I thought she spoke a lot of rubbish and this was one of the contributing factors to her being banned.

Like ferret said, the contracting market is no place for touchy feely "Are you alright today Denny? What can we do to make you smile?" type rubbish, we have to be thick skinned and hard nosed, dealing with recruiters, clients, permies, accountants, HMRC etc makes you this way. If you want to be warm and have cuddles and be cared for then do not be a contractor is my advice. Hector will laugh at your tears because you messed up your accounts or did something dodgy and they will smile as they fine you (or worse!) So if a newbie asks something really basic where the answers are everywhere on this site and elsewhere on the net then is it surprising that they get short shrift?
        (2008...)

In fact, if anything, we've mellowed our view of newbies and even have a Welcome/FAQ forum that allows newbies breathing space before launching themselves into the bear pit that is General.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          Mumsnet is a terrifying insight into the female mind.
          FTFY
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

(2008...)

In fact, if anything, we've mellowed our view of newbies and even have a Welcome/FAQ forum that allows newbies breathing space before launching themselves into the bear pit that is General.
            Indeed. And we sometimes have to go in there with bait to get fresh meat for the regulars. I thought I had caught one today - though seems to have escaped....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Indeed. And we sometimes have to go in there with bait to get fresh meat for the regulars. I thought I had caught one today - though seems to have escaped....
              He gave a very strong run initially, I thought it was going to strip all the line off your spool

Try a smaller hook next time

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                strip all the line off your spool
                I wanted to leave something for my visit to NLyUK tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

(2008...)

I've been here since 1999 when Cojaks funny wig was a mere twinkle and she spelt her name differently.

All that's happened is we don't get as many newbies as we used to and the ones that remain are battle worn, jaded and are difficult as hell to troll anymore :-(
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I've been here since 1999 when Cojaks funny wig was a mere twinkle and she spelt her name differently.

All that's happened is we don't get as many newbies as we used to and the ones that remain are battle worn, jaded and are difficult as hell to troll anymore :-(
                    And you've got duller. An MF hissy fit used to be a bit of an event. Hardly worth watching anymore. Maybe everyone has mellowed out.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      And you've got duller. An MF hissy fit used to be a bit of an event. Hardly worth watching anymore. Maybe everyone has mellowed out.
                      Lost his edge, I believe.

Used to be at least slightly amusing in the old days.

Now he just comes across as an overweight, bitter, barsteward enjoying too much bench time.

Shame.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X