• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CVs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CVs

Quick question, brushing up the CV for a role Ive just seen that seems too good to be true, Which probably means its a recruiter fishing for leads... but Im trying my luck anyway.

At the moment my CV is getting a bit long so Im trimming work experience down to the last x years (Question 1 - how far back? 10 years? Ive only been contracting since 2014 so feel that I should include at least some of the permie roles).
    Im also looking at education, how far back with that is relevant? do they really care that I did well in GCSE RE 20 years ago?

Thoughts?

Yep don't post serious questions in General.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Yep don't post serious questions in General.
      Fair point, didn't think it fitted anywhere else, and was expecting some abuse so thought general might be best!

Comment

You really need us to answer that last question for you?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm not leaving previous experience out, just trimming 10+ years old roles to dates, title, company name, no descriptions of what i actually did.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
            Quick question, brushing up the CV for a role Ive just seen that seems too good to be true, Which probably means its a recruiter fishing for leads... but Im trying my luck anyway.

At the moment my CV is getting a bit long so Im trimming work experience down to the last x years (Question 1 - how far back? 10 years? Ive only been contracting since 2014 so feel that I should include at least some of the permie roles).
            Im also looking at education, how far back with that is relevant? do they really care that I did well in GCSE RE 20 years ago?

Thoughts?
            I put all jobs / contracts in but >10 years ago it's dates, role title, employer / client with no more details.

Education: degree only (and foreign language A levels if relevant - rarely the case) and relevant certs as well.

Comment

All sensible stuff, pretty much what I thought.

With the exception of the education, I decided not to do uni and got a low level IT job based on a software development HNC and worked up so I'm going to leave that on there.

Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                Fair point, didn't think it fitted anywhere else, and was expecting some abuse so thought general might be best!
                It fits in here - linky
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  I put all jobs / contracts in but >10 years ago it's dates, role title, employer / client with no more details.

Education: degree only (and foreign language A levels if relevant - rarely the case) and relevant certs as well.
                  Exactly this but I started out in Engineering and moved in to Electrical in the beginning so I've completely dropped those of my CV. It's completely irrelevant and it opens me up to spam from Agents sending me useless jobs from a keyword search. I only start listing my jobs from the IT ones that are slightly relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    It fits in here - linky
                    But if a question appeared in there from a contractor asking if they should put their GCSE's on their CV I'd be requesting it to be moved to General

Good plan because no one gets abused in General

Comment

Working...
                    X