• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally

Harlow MP Mr Halfon told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: 'People recognise that many public sector workers have had to struggle over the past few years.'

Mr Halfon said: 'I think we have to look, potentially, at sacred cows. What I'm suggesting is that we look at some of the overseas aid budget, which is going to be over £13 billion in the coming year.'

He insisted he was 'passionate about overseas aid' but added: 'I think we face a particular difficulty in our country where many public sector workers have had to struggle, particularly those on lower pay, so I think temporarily, while the economy remains difficult, while we get down the deficit, I think we need to look at sacred cows like the overseas aid budget and use that to help the lowest-paid public sector workers.'
    Don't forget the £350m per week from the EU too.

That aid budget is ridiculous. There's a case for foreign aid but, apart from major disasters, it needs to be focused on long term improvement to a country's GDP. Studies show that aid to some countries has no measurable effect.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      That aid budget is ridiculous. There's a case for foreign aid but, apart from major disasters, it needs to be focused on long term improvement to a country's GDP. Studies show that aid to some countries has no measurable effect.
      It will have a measurable effect if it bribes that country to vote to keep the UK as one of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

That's true. Hadn't thought of that.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Don't forget the £350m per week from the EU too.
          Minus the rebate take us to £161m per week or £8bn pa. What benefits us more? Giving away £13 billion in aid or membership to a trading block the benefits everyone residing in it?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

That's true. Hadn't thought of that.
            I'll wager there's a few more things you've not thought of either.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Things going well.

UK economy officially EU’s worst performer – POLITICO
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                We haven't left the EU yet remember?

So being in the EU relegates us to the bottom of the pile. Good thing we will leave soon.

Comment

It does, the crown princes all have nice new BMWs/Mercedes brought by the British taxpayer
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    It does, the crown princes all have nice new BMWs/Mercedes brought by the British taxpayer
                    And lots of nice shiny AK47s and RPGs from Russia too.

Comment

Working...
                    X