• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skills Shortage Costs UK £2 Billion Per Year.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    employers should respond to skills shortages by helping train their workforces.

Exactly. However employers are hooked on the drug of cheap overseas labour.
    You can't polish turds.
    For work requiring a high IQ there is only a limited pool in any population.
    Since the UK is a knowledge economy and not a manufacturing one, that's why immigration will ALWAYS be necessary.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      You can't polish turds.
      Since the UK is a knowledge economy and not a manufacturing one, that's why immigration will ALWAYS be necessary.
      A gross over-simplification. At least you actually gave a viewpoint for once instead of just shouting cretin.

I have worked with some good people from overseas. Mostly the quality is much poorer than the UK.

One major asset the UK has is people don't just blindly do as they are told like some countries.

Some young people are put off by high student debts and high cost of housing. There is a growing feeling that social mobility is dead.

The UK is now over crowded. There should be no immigrants until the population is less than 56 million. And after that it should match emigration.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        A gross over-simplification. At least you actually gave a viewpoint for once instead of just shouting cretin.

I have worked with some good people from overseas. Mostly the quality is much poorer than the UK.

One major asset the UK has is people don't just blindly do as they are told like some countries.

Some young people are put off by high student debts and high cost of housing. There is a growing feeling that social mobility is dead.

The UK is now over crowded. There should be no immigrants until the population is less than 56 million. And after that it should match emigration.
        No it's not - go North and you will see my point.

And luckily for you in the SE those immigrants are fecking off due to Brexit.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          You can't polish turds.
          I think you will find that most people support managed migration. The Brexit vote among other things was to stop unmanaged immigration from the EU.

We have a history of allowing the best in via the immigration system.

Though the telegraph don't have a great list

20 famous immigrants to the UK, in pictures - Telegraph
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Easy solution - new immigration visa type that allows visiting of District M25 only on Boxing Day to get to Harrods sale

Simples

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              I think you will find that most people support managed migration. The Brexit vote among other things was to stop unmanaged immigration from the EU.

We have a history of allowing the best in via the immigration system.

Though the telegraph don't have a great list

20 famous immigrants to the UK, in pictures - Telegraph

Blame Blair, Blunkett, Clarke, Reid, Cameron and May. The EU passed a directive in 2004 which means we could kick out those who can't support themselves or aren't students.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Lets follow that trough..

1) Wages increase.
                2) Cost of services and products increase
                3) People purchase less as debt increases further
                4) Exports fall as they become less competitive
                5) Interest rate sky rocket to temper our of control inflation

High five all round. Shall I get out the bunting?
                You are Diane Abbott and I claim my forty chocolate bars that you won't need because of your Type 3476 diabetes.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Lets follow that trough..

1) Wages increase.
                  2) Cost of services and products increase
                  3) People purchase less as debt increases further
                  4) Exports fall as they become less competitive
                  5) Interest rate sky rocket to temper our of control inflation

High five all round. Shall I get out the bunting?
                  Pooter follows through will anyone notice the difference?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Blame Blair, Blunkett, Clarke, Reid, Cameron and May. The EU passed a directive in 2004 which means we could kick out those who can't support themselves or aren't students.
                    The successive UK governments didn't want to implement it, because it would have been good for us, instead it's easier to blame the EU rather than to have acted positively for the last 13 years.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      The successive UK governments didn't want to implement it, because it would have been good for us, instead it's easier to blame the EU rather than to have acted positively for the last 13 years.
                      EU was super useful scapegoat for successive Govts, who would they blame now, immigrants?

Comment

Working...
                      X